There’s been plenty of fuss over Samsung’s spontaneously combusting Galaxy Note 7 just lately, but do you recall how the year started with multiple news reports of another popular device exploding without warning?
The hoverboard – the personal transportation device that doesn’t actually hover but instead tootles along on two wheels – was one of the big-ticket items of last year’s holiday season. But its popularity led to the market being saturated with sub-standard devices made by careless manufacturers desperate to cash in on the craze, and it wasn’t long before reports of fires began to surface.
The situation was so serious that Amazon temporarily halted sales of the device on its web store, though by that time the Fox family of Nashville, Tennessee had already purchased one from its site.
Things turned bad for the Foxes in January of this year when their board’s battery overheated and exploded, causing a devastating fire that burned down their entire house. Fortunately no one died in the incident, though the traumatic experience and loss of possessions left the family of six emotionally distraught.
According to reports, the Fox family bought the board from a seller on the Amazon site. However, after months of investigations, the family’s lawyers have been unable to locate the manufacturer, leading them to conclude that it wasn’t a legitimate firm.
Tennessee product liability law allows a seller to be held responsible if the manufacturer can’t be found, so the family is now targeting Amazon for compensation. In a $30 million lawsuit filed last week, it’s claiming that the ecommerce giant knowingly sold a potentially dangerous product.
“The Foxes contend that Amazon and its various subsidiaries had information about the danger of this product well in advance of the January 9 fire … they should have known the product was being misrepresented on their website,” Steve Anderson, one of the lawyers acting for the family, told The Tennessean.
Anderson added: “The most horrific thing was obviously the episode that day and trying to rescue these two teenagers, and the profound impact on them. It’s also important to consider that literally in a matter of a few minutes every single personal possession of this entire family was destroyed.”
The Foxes are seeking compensation for the loss of their possessions, as well as for the emotional distress caused by the incident.
A fire department investigation concluded that the family’s house fire was caused by a battery fault with the “FITURBO F1” hoverboard. The fire was one of a number of similar incidents caused by sub-standard hoverboard batteries toward the end of last year and in the early months of 2016, a situation that forced a recall of some models and the seizure of thousands of units by U.S. customs as they arrived in the country from factories abroad.
Inter Milan cancells pre match conference ahead of Fiorentina clash
Inter Milan cancelled a pre-match news conference on Saturday after what it called an “offensive letter” about manager Antonio Conte was printed in Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport.
The Serie A club said the letter, submitted by a reader, was accompanied with a comment from one of the paper’s journalists “justifying its aggression”.
“In order to send out a message to all media outlets that they must ‘guarantee respect for people’, there won’t be a press conference today,” the club said.
Inter were eliminated from the Champions League on Tuesday, losing 2-1 to a young Barcelona team to finish third in their group behind the Spanish giants and Borussia Dortmund.
In the letter, a Bologna fan said that he “enjoyed seeing the great Inter outclassed by Barcelona B”, who had shown Inter’s “worn-out” coach how to play football.
The fan added that although Conte has won a lot of games in his career, he has “never shown a good game” and despite spending more than 150 million euros (£125m), Inter could not beat Slavia Prague and lost to Dortmund in the Champions League.
A journalist added a comment to the letter, saying that Inter have “thrown away the Champions League and maybe the rest too” by loaning striker Mauro Icardi to French side Paris St-Germain.
The journalist added: “No Icardi, No Party”.
Earlier this month, Roma, along with Inter’s rivals AC Milan, announced they would not work with Corriere dello Sport until January in response to the paper using the headline ‘Black Friday’ accompanied by images of Romelu Lukaku and Chris Smalling.
Corriere dello Sport defended the “innocent” headline in a comment piece on its website, saying it was a way to celebrate diversity.
Klopp agrees to contract extension with Liverpool
Liverpool has been a revolutionary team ever since klopp was named the head coach in 2015.
Klopp’s masterclass has led liverpool to become a formidable team in all competitions.
Liverpool secured their sixth champions league trophy last season and bags lot of individual awards.
One can boldly say, liverpool is a complete team with the likes of Mohammed Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Allison pening for liverpool.
The phenomenal Reds finished second place last season with a point below Pep Guardiola’s team.
When I see the development of the club and the collaborative work that continues to take place, I feel my contribution can only grow.”
“When the call came in autumn 2015, I felt we were perfect for each other; if anything, now I feel I underestimated that.
“It is only with a total belief that the collaboration remains totally complimentary on both sides that I am able to make this commitment to 2024.
“If I didn’t I would not be re-signing.
“This club is in such a good place, I couldn’t contemplate leaving.” klopp says.
It’s a massive development for the “kops” as they look indisputable to win the premier league trophy with their current longest club unbeaten run.
24 Hours Across Africa1 week ago
Nigeria: Court sentenced Orji kalu to 12 years in prision
24 Hours Across Africa1 week ago
Nigeria: Activist freed after months of detention
AntMedia TV6 days ago
Tourists declared missing after volcano eruption in New Zealand
24 Hours Across Africa6 days ago
Fans Heart-broken as U.S rapper Juice Wrld dies at 21