Connect with us

News

Bedford Prison Inmates Take Over Prison

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Police were called to a prison in Bedford following reports of a riot involving up to 200 inmates.

Emergency services were called to Category B jail in the town centre at around 5pm.

The Prison Officers Association (POA) said some guards at the prison had retreated to “safe place” and national teams of riot-trained officers had been deployed.

Steve Gillan, POA general secretary, said: “We do know there’s concerted ill-discipline if not a riot situation going on in Bedford.

“There could be anything up to 200 prisoners involved. We don’t know how many are out of the cells, some are still locked up.

“Prison officers on the landings have withdrawn to a safe place, so prisoners are out in large numbers.

“We don’t know if it will turn into a full scale riot as these things can turn very quickly.”
A police spokeswoman said: “Bedfordshire Police is currently assisting HMP Bedford following reports of unrest within the prison.

“We were called shortly before 5pm and have a number of officers at the scene working with prison staff to resolve the issue.”

It was reported that prisoners started a riot and have taken over parts of the category B prison.

A Prison Service spokesman said: “Specially trained staff are working with the emergency services to resolve an ongoing incident involving a number of prisoners at HMP Bedford.

“We are absolutely clear that prisoners who behave in this way will be punished and could spend significantly longer behind bars.”

Ambulance and fire services are also on standby outside the prison.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We are at the scene on standby at this stage. It’s an on-going incident. We are not in the prison.”

It comes after the head of the POA Mike Rolfe last week warned British jails have been engulfed by a “bloodbath”.

Mr Gillan said: “The POA has been warning about this situation of violence in our prisons – it would appear it’s coming to fruition.

“I just hope there’s no prisoners or indeed prison officers injured in the violence.”

Late on Sunday night the Prison Service said the disturbance had been “successfully resolved”.

A Prison Service spokesman said: “Specially trained prison officers and staff from the emergency services have successfully resolved an incident involving a number of prisoners at HMP Bedford.

“An investigation into this incident will take place. We are absolutely clear that prisoners who behave in this way will be punished and could spend significantly longer behind bars.”

HMP Bedford, which has been on its current site since 1801, currently holds around 500 inmates, according to a HM Inspectorate of Prisons report in September.

The watchdog’s report found inmates claimed it was easier to get drugs than clothes or bedsheets at a prison where standards have deteriorated to “unacceptable levels”.

A survey found the number of prisoners saying it was easy or very easy to get drugs had almost doubled since the last inspection of the jail in February 2014.

The number saying they had developed a drug problem while at the prison increased from 4% to 14%.

The HMP inspection in May also found that the physical condition of the prison was poor, with many inmates living in cramped conditions. The report detailed damaged furniture, graffiti, shortages of clothing and dirty, unscreened showers.

The report also said: “Arrangements for managing violent and bullying behaviour and supporting victims were weak.”

Shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon said on Twitter: “More troubling news concerning our prisons. The Justice Secretary needs to do more urgently to tackle crisis.”

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading
Advertisement

24 Hours Across Africa

Inter Milan cancells pre match conference ahead of Fiorentina clash

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Inter Milan cancelled a pre-match news conference on Saturday after what it called an “offensive letter” about manager Antonio Conte was printed in Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport.

The Serie A club said the letter, submitted by a reader, was accompanied with a comment from one of the paper’s journalists “justifying its aggression”.

“In order to send out a message to all media outlets that they must ‘guarantee respect for people’, there won’t be a press conference today,” the club said.

Inter were eliminated from the Champions League on Tuesday, losing 2-1 to a young Barcelona team to finish third in their group behind the Spanish giants and Borussia Dortmund.

In the letter, a Bologna fan said that he “enjoyed seeing the great Inter outclassed by Barcelona B”, who had shown Inter’s “worn-out” coach how to play football.

The fan added that although Conte has won a lot of games in his career, he has “never shown a good game” and despite spending more than 150 million euros (£125m), Inter could not beat Slavia Prague and lost to Dortmund in the Champions League.

A journalist added a comment to the letter, saying that Inter have “thrown away the Champions League and maybe the rest too” by loaning striker Mauro Icardi to French side Paris St-Germain.

The journalist added: “No Icardi, No Party”.

Earlier this month, Roma, along with Inter’s rivals AC Milan, announced they would not work with Corriere dello Sport until January in response to the paper using the headline ‘Black Friday’ accompanied by images of Romelu Lukaku and Chris Smalling.

Corriere dello Sport defended the “innocent” headline in a comment piece on its website, saying it was a way to celebrate diversity.

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Klopp agrees to contract extension with Liverpool

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Liverpool has been a revolutionary team ever since klopp was named the head coach in 2015.

Klopp’s masterclass has led liverpool to become a formidable team in all competitions.

Liverpool secured their sixth champions league trophy last season and bags lot of individual awards.

One can boldly say, liverpool is a complete team with the likes of Mohammed Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Allison pening for liverpool.

The phenomenal Reds finished second place last season with a point below  Pep Guardiola’s team.

When I see the development of the club and the collaborative work that continues to take place, I feel my contribution can only grow.”

“When the call came in autumn 2015, I felt we were perfect for each other; if anything, now I feel I underestimated that.

“It is only with a total belief that the collaboration remains totally complimentary on both sides that I am able to make this commitment to 2024.

“If I didn’t I would not be re-signing.

“This club is in such a good place, I couldn’t contemplate leaving.” klopp says.

It’s a massive development for the “kops” as they look indisputable to win the premier league trophy with their current longest club unbeaten run.

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Oven-Hot

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved