Connect with us

News

Brazil wants more troops amid crime wave due to police strike

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Authorities in the Brazilian state of Espirito Santo Wednesday requested more federal troops to stem a crime wave amid an ongoing police strike that in five days has led to more than 80 reported deaths.

The death toll, if confirmed, would be roughly six times the state’s comparable homicide rate from last year.

Despite the pending mobilization of 1,000 soldiers, and a contingent of 200 federal police officers who arrived in the southeastern state on Tuesday, violence continues its grip after state police began striking in a pay dispute last weekend.

Confronting the wave of assaults, looting and murders, local officials said they would need hundreds more troops to help make up for an average deployment of 1,800 officers who normally patrol the small coastal state north of Rio de Janeiro.

The stoppage, assisted by family and friends of officers who have blocked access to barracks and police stations, comes as Espirito Santo, like many states wracked by Brazil’s worst recession on record, struggles to ensure even basic health, education and security services.

Governor Paulo Hartung on Wednesday called the strike, which prompted officials to close schools and clinics and has led fearful residents to stay home, “blackmail.” He compared it to “kidnapping the liberty of citizens and charging a ransom.”

Federal officials did not immediately respond to the request for more troops but earlier in the week said they would take whatever steps needed to restore order.

State officials have not confirmed the rising death toll from the violence, but local media have reported that more than 80 people have been killed since Saturday.

In addition to television footage and cell phone videos of assaults and looting in broad daylight, reports from the local morgue showed bodies on floors and in hallways of the overburdened facility.

Most of the violence has been centered in Vitoria and its suburbs, a metropolitan region of about 2 million people.

Share With Friends:

24 Hours Across Africa

Nigeria announce 21-Squad for U17 Fifa World Cup.

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Nigeria under-17 coach Manu Garbage has announce a final 21-man squad for the Fifa Under-17 World Cup in Brazil later this month.

Nigeria are the most successful team in the history of the event with five wins (in 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013 and 2015) and three runners-up medals.

The West Africans are in group B alongside Hungary, Ecuador and Australia and will face Hungary in their opening game on 26 October.

They will lock horns with Ecuador three days later before they play their final group match against Australia on 1 November.

Nigeria squad:

Goalkeepers: Sunday Stephen (Football College Academy), Joseph Oluwabusola (Bournemouth, England), Daniel Jinadu (West Ham United, England)

Defenders: Usman Ibrahim (Giant Brilliants FC), Quadri Edun (G12 FC), Charles Etim (Blessed Stars Academy), Ferdinard Ikenna (A&B FC)

Midfielders: Daniel Francis (FC Hearts), Monsuru Opeyemi (B. Angel FC), Ibrahim Said (Dabo Babes Academy), Samson Tijani (Collings Edwin FC), Hamzat Ojediran (Jossy United FC), Peter Agba (Falala FC)

Forwards: Wisdom Ubani (Giant Brilliants FC), Peter Olawale (Delta Warriors FC), Akinkunmi Amoo (Sidos FC), Oluwatimilehin Adeniyi (Sporting Dreams FC), Olakunle Olusegun (ABS FC), Ibraheem Jabaar (Ijebu FC), Abba Bichi (Talentbase Sport FC), Divine Nwachukwu (Riverline FC).

@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Victor osimhen bags player of the month award

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Lille’s Nigeria international Victor Osimhen has been named September’s French Ligue 1 Player of the Month.

The 20-year-old striker, who joined the club in August from Belgian side RSC Charleroi, scored twice and provided two assists in five matches last month as Lille climbed into the top five.

“It’s been an amazing time at this club and to get this award is surreal,” says Osimhen

“I’m grateful to those who voted, thankful to my teammates, our backroom staff and the entire Lille fans for the love.

“I never expected this to happen so soon but I guess this is what comes when you are surrounded by great players, loved ones and the blessings of God.”

Osimhen saw off the challenges of Monaco’s Algerian international Islam Slimani and veteran Nantes defender Nicolas Pallois to the monthly honour awarded by the Player’s Union (UNFP).

He succeeds Angola-born Rennes midfielder Eduardo Camavinga, who won the August award and became the youngest ever winner at the age of 16.

An incredible two months for Osimhen in the colours of Lille has resulted in eight goals in 11 appearances for the northern club.

Osimhen was the top scorer as Nigeria clinched a fifth Under-17 World Cup title in 2015 with 10 goals in Chile, which saw him win the Golden Boot and Silver Ball.

He also scored on his full debut for Nigeria in a 2-2 friendly draw against Ukraine in September.

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Oven-Hot

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved