Connect with us

Business

Disney boss warns Trump on trade and migration

Published

on

Share With Friends:

The head of Disney has warned against a US trade war with China and called for a “fair and just” immigration policy in an apparent broadside against Donald Trump.

Bob Iger’s said that, the company behind Mickey Mouse, and owner of the Star Wars franchise, at odds with the White House.

Mr Iger is a member of the new President’s business advisory council, though he did not attend its first meeting last week, saying it clashed with a Disney board meeting.

Mr Trump has threatened to levy tariffs of up to 45% on Chinese goods – risking a trade war with the world’s second biggest economy, the like of which the IMF has already warned could derail global growth.

Mr Iger said that China was a key market for its films, theme parks and consumer products.

He added: “An all-out trade war with China would be damaging I think to Disney’s business and to business in general and something I think we have to be really careful about.”

The chief executive was also apparently critical of the new administration’s travel ban – which affects immigration to the US from seven mainly Muslim nations and the country’s refugee programme.

Mr Iger stressed the importance to the US of its “openness to the people of the world”.

He said: “I firmly believe that we cannot shut our borders to immigrants.

“I think a fair and just immigration policy is good for our country and good for our society.”

Mr Trump’s travel ban has already attracted the ire of Silicon Valley bosses – including Amazon’s Jeff Bezos – who are supporting a legal challenge.

Mr Iger was speaking as Disney published results for the three months to the end of December showing a surprise drop in revenue, though profits were better than expected.

The results pointed to the growing importance of its operations in China, where its Shanghai Disney Resort opened last summer and has already seen more than seven million visitors.

 

Share With Friends:

24 Hours Across Africa

World food prices hike for first time in five months: U.N. FAO

Published

on

Share With Friends:

World food prices rose for the first time in five months in October, boosted by jumps in quotations for sugar and cereals, the United Nations food agency said on Thursday.

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) food price index, which measures monthly changes for a basket of cereals, oilseeds, dairy products, meat and sugar, averaged 172.7 points in October, up 1.7% on the previous month and 6.0% year-on-year.

FAO also predicted that cereal production would be 2.704 billion tonnes in 2019, slightly lower than its last forecast.

The FAO sugar price index jumped 5.8% from September levels, largely because of expectations of lower supplies in the year ahead following forecasts of large reductions in sugar output in India and Thailand.

The cereal price index rose 4.2%, with wheat and maize export prices climbing on the back of reduced crop prospects in several major producing countries and “robust trade activity”. By contrast, rice prices fell, hit by subdued demand and expectations of an abundant basmati harvest.

The vegetable oil price index increased 0.5% to reach its highest level in more than a year, while the meat price index rose 0.9%, driven by higher import demand especially from China.

By contrast, the dairy price index dropped 0.7% in October, as lower quotations for cheese offset increases in those for skimmed and whole milk powders, FAO said.

FAO lowered its forecast for global cereal production in 2019 by some 2 million tonnes, pegging world cereal output at 2.704 billion tonnes, but still up 1.8% from 2018 levels.

The U.N. agency said worldwide coarse grain production in 2019 was seen at 1.425 billion tonnes, down 1.3 million on the previous forecast.

Wheat output was seen at 765 million tonnes, down nearly 1 million tonnes on the last outlook, but still on course to set a new record and up 4.5% on 2018 levels.

The forecast for global rice production was put at 513.4 million tonnes, little changed on the previous forecast and slightly below 2018 levels.

Source: Reuters

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Director Genevieve Nnaji reacts over Oscar snub.

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Nigeria’s first-ever Oscar submission for best international feature film has been disqualified by award organisers, sparking criticism from its director.

Films in this category, formerly best foreign language film, must have “a predominantly non-English dialogue track”.

However, the 95-minute film Lionheart is largely in English, with an 11-minute section in the Igbo language.

Director Genevieve Nnaji  said the film represented how Nigerians communicate.

The disqualification of the film by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was announced to voters in an email on Monday, according to The Wrap.

Ava DuVernay, director of Selma and A Wrinkle in Time, questioned the decision on Twitter, pointing out that English is Nigeria’s official language.

Presentational white space

Ms DuVernay became the first black woman to direct a live-action film with a budget of more than $100m in 2016.

Ms Nnaji, who directed and starred in Lionheart, thanked Ms DuVernay for speaking out, saying the film “represents the way we speak as Nigerians”.

She added: “This includes English which acts as a bridge between the 500+ languages spoken in our country.”

In another tweet, she said: “We did not choose who colonized us. As ever, this film and many like it, is proudly Nigerian”.

English is still the official language of Nigeria because of British colonisation, which lasted for nearly a century until independence in 1960.

Lionheart, which is currently streaming on Netflix, is about a Nigerian woman trying to keep her father’s company together in a society dominated by men.

Media captionThe Tanzanian making ‘pure African’ film costumes

The best foreign language film category was changed ahead of the 2020 awards to best international feature film, with the Academy saying that the reference to “foreign” was “outdated within the global filmmaking community”.

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Oven-Hot

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved