Connect with us

News

White House reportedly bars CNN, New York Times, others from press briefing

Published

on

The White House on Friday barred a few news networks from its press briefing, as President Donald Trump continues to fight against those who allegedly spread “fake news.”

Media houses like CNN, the New York Times, Buzzfeed, the Los Angeles Times and Politico were all denied access.

The briefing was a “gaggle” — an informal session that’s on the record, but without cameras televising the event.

However, NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox, Breitbart, the Washington Times, and One America News Network were all given access.

The Associated Press and Time reportedly boycotted the briefing.

Editor-in-chief of BuzzFeed News, Ben Smith in a statement, said: “While we strongly object to the White House’s apparent attempt to punish news outlets whose coverage it does not like, we won’t let these latest antics distract us from continuing to cover this administration fairly and aggressively.”

The president of the White House Correspondents Association, Jeff Mason, said they will discuss the development.

“The WHCA board is protesting strongly against how today’s gaggle is being handled by the White House,” Mason, who is also chief white house correspondent for Reuters, said.

Executive editor of the New York Times, Dean Baquet, also issued a statement to the paper.

He said: “Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties,” Baquet said in the statement. “We strongly protest the exclusion of The New York Times and the other news organizations. Free media access to a transparent government is obviously of crucial national interest.

A White House communications official denied that the publications had been blocked.

24 Hours Across Africa

Zimbawe’s doctor goes missing after masterminding strike

Published

on

Fearless Zimbabwe’s minister of health has called on the government to address insecurity lapses that has lead to the disappearance Peter Magombeyi, the head of a doctor’s union, who disappeared on Saturday.

Fears are rising over the fate of Zimbabwe medical doctor Dr Peter Magombeyi after he sent a message to say he had been abducted in that country by unknown persons – apparently for demanding a “living wage”.

An AFP report earlier on Sunday quoted the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctor’s Association (ZHDA) as saying Magombeyi had not been heard from since he sent a WhatsApp message on Saturday night saying he had been “kidnapped by three men”.

Zimbabwe doctors, who earn a miserly equivalent of about R3 000 are on strike to press for better wages, equipment and medicines in state hospitals.

The ZHDA has reportedly accused state security forces of abducting the doctor because of his role in organising work stoppages.

This week some doctors said the death of deposed Robert Mugabe, 95, in a Singapore hospital on 6 September was an indication of how bad health services in Zimbabwe

“Dr Magombeyi’s crime is only to ask for a living wage for his profession. This is a reflection of the troubles born out of refusal to implement Political Reforms.”

The Zimbabwe government led by Emmerson Mnangagwa has not publicly commented on the doctor’s disappearance

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

South Africans ask Nigerians for forgiveness as they troop out in masses

Published

on

Say no to Xenophobia, South Africans troop out in masses carrying banner and asking for forgiveness from Nigerians after weeks of xenophobic attacks.

The south Africans sangs as they marched through the street and also held up a banner which called for unity among Africans, week after the attack which led to destruction of properties and looting of shops owned by foreigners.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved