Holiday-makers lie on sun loungers at a Tunisian luxury hotel where everything from the swimming pool to the wall paint, furniture at the shiny reception hall, police post at its gate and even its name is new.
Nothing reminds holiday-makers of the day in June 2015 when an Islamist militant shot dead 39 foreigners in this beach resort, triggering an exodus of tourists from the North African country and severely damaging its economy.
Thanks to a massive security presence and advertising abroad some tourists have returned, helping boost revenues from the sector by 21 percent to $851.06 million in the first nine months of 2017 compared to last year, according to central bank data.
Westerners are still reluctant to come back despite most countries having lifted travel warnings.
But hotels have managed to fill rooms with Algerians and Russians, the latter group avoiding Egypt since Islamic State downed a Russian plane in October 2015.
Alexander Maslenikov from Siberia, Russia said he was enjoying the temperatures, while Lidia Maslenikov approved of the whole resort.
“It’s cheap, good price, good time, good hotel, I like everything,” she said.
The Steigenberger Kantaoui Bay in Sousse – a tourist beach town located some 150km south of the capital Tunis – reopened this summer after undergoing a facelift, dropping even its old name, Imperial Marhaba.
“In terms of safety, we have taken a very big step forward,” said the hotel’s owner Zohra Driss. She says the hotel is fully booked until October.
Tourism accounts for about 8 percent of Tunisia’s gross domestic product, provides thousands of jobs and is a key source of foreign currency, but it has struggled since two major attacks in 2015.
The first at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis left 21 tourists dead, while 39 mostly British holiday-makers were killed in the Sousse attack.
But with hotels resembling fortresses many holiday-makers book “all inclusive” tours benefiting hotel chains while staying indoors – leaving souvenir traders and cafes idle in the old city.
Shopkeepers in Kantaoui Port miss their traditional clientele.
“We are happy when there are English, Europeans in general, French, Italian, Dutch, really happy when we exchange with them, when we give them information, they leave happy and we stay happy,” said shopkeeper Charfeddine.
Officials say tourism revenues are rising, despite risks from I.S. and a weak dinar.
“Revenues for the period from January to September 20 in Tunisian dinars increased by 21 percent, in euros, we recorded a slight increase of 6.4 percent,” said head of the national tourism office Neji Ben Othman.
He said Tunisia aims to attract tourists from new destinations like China and Canada as well as its traditional markets like the UK and Germany.
Tunisia has increased security in Sousse and other tourist spots, erecting checkpoints on main roads and at hotels after police came under fire for a slow response during the 2015 attack.
South Africa: Farmer bags life imprisonment for killing farmworker
A Western Cape farmer‚ Martin Visser‚ was sentenced to life imprisonment on Wednesday for the murder of a farmworker‚ Adam Pieterse.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the farmer‚ from Lutzville‚ was also sentenced to three years for assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and six months for assault.
Visser allegedly beat Pieterse with a spade‚ dragged him with a quadbike and then buried him in 2015.
Ntabazalila said there was an “incident” earlier on Wednesday in the cells before Judge Nathan Erasmus sentenced Visser.
It was reported that Visser tried to commit suicide by hanging himself with his jacket.
Ntabazalila said: “An incident took place in the cell and the accused was taken to hospital but he is back now. Defence objected with the sentencing taking place. State objected to that‚ saying the accused was assessed in hospital and tests of concussion were negative. After that sentencing started.”
Ntabazalila added: “Judge Erasmus told the court that an incident took place in the cell. He did not mention what incident it was.”
Visser murdered Pieterse in 2015.
Zimbabwean man sneaks into hospital ward, makes love to sick wife
A Zimbabwean man is currently under investigation for forcing his way into a female ward at Masvingo Provincial Hospital at 3am to make love to his wife, who was admitted to the hospital.
The man, who is a prominent restaurant owner in the city was reported to have argued with the hospital nurses in the middle of the night and insisted he should be allowed to see his wife in the female ward.
He eventually got in and went on to have sex with his wife, in the presence of 10 other patients in the ward.
The Medical Director of the hospital, Amadeus Shamu, confirmed the incident to iHarare and said that the hospital has since instituted investigations.
Shamu said, “It was around 3am that patients who were disturbed by the noise coming from the ecstatic couple reported to the nurses that there was sex in the ward. The nurses summoned a security guard who got the man out of the ward.”
The investigation also revealed that the wife had told the nurses that her husband was abusive and she might be beaten if she refused to accept his sexual overtures.
“I could not refuse to have sex with him because I could have been beaten in the presence of patients because he is very violent,” the woman told the nurses.
Motherland News5 days ago
Nigeria ruling party warns senate president to resign.
Motherland News2 days ago
Kenya wildlife officials rescue Taiwan tourists by killing hippo.
Motherland News4 days ago
DR Congo records more Ebola cases ahead of treatment.
Motherland News4 days ago
Ethiopia: Abiy Ahmed reassures peace in Somali region.