page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

USA: Mum-of-two left with hole in her face after she dismissed cancer as stubborn spot.

Published

on

A mum-of-two has been left with a hole in her face after dismissing skin cancer as a ‘stubborn spot.’

Keely Jones, 40, was advised to see a dermatologist after her beautician noticed the red blemish on her face but she ignored her concerns.

Keely from North Carolina, USA, was convinced that the bump on her temple was just a spot as she’d rarely exposed her skin to the sun.

But after being tested Keely was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma – a skin cancer that can cause extreme disfigurement if left untreated – two months ago.

The growth – which left Keely with a hole the size of a five pence piece on her forehead – was removed and required over 20 stitches to close.

She is now sharing her own story to warn others of the risks of skin cancer.

Keely, who owns a beauty company, said: “I don’t usually have blemishes on my face, so it was unusual for me to get a spot.

“I thought it was just a stubborn one, so I just continued to pick it and every time it would just scab over and bleed.

After going for a facial I was advised to go and see a dermatologist after the beautician noticed the spot, but it took months to get referred to a clinic.

“I only ever used tanning beds when I was in my teens and I hardly went in the sun anymore – and when I was in the sun my face would always be covered.

“I’m lucky that I got the lump removed when it did, or it’s likely that the cancer would’ve spread across my face.

“Despite the spot being so small, I had to have removals three times to make sure all of the cancer was gone.

“I had to have over 20 stitches to close up the hole. Last week I had them taken out, so now I am just left with a small scar.

“Working in the beauty industry it does make me very self-conscious, but I hope that my story can show people the real dangers of skin cancer.”

Keely initially visited her dermatologist in September after concerns were raised about her skin.

She added: “After seeing the dermatologist , they decided to do a biopsy on my temple as it looked concerning.

“A week later I received a call and was told that I had cancer.

“I then had to have three more surgeries to remove the spot from my temple and to get all of the cancer out.

“When it was removed and I saw the massive hole on my temple I was so shocked – the spot was so little, but they needed to remove so much more skin.

“The hole was then stitched together, but luckily I had these stiches removed just last week and it’s unlikely that I will need any more surgery.

“I’ll still have to go for checkups though because the chance of having another cancerous spot is now higher.”

Keely is now recovering after having her stitches removed on November 21 and is now using her story to raise awareness to others.

Keely said: “For the next few weeks I can’t exercise, pick up the children or sleep on my right hand side.

“These photographs of me are more than unflattering, and as someone who works in beauty I found it quite hard to share them.

“But hopefully it will help at least one person learn the importance of looking after their skin.

“Skin cancer can happen to anyone – I hardly used tanning beds, and always avoided the sun, and I still managed to end up with skin cancer.”

Motherland News

Families Identify Church Collapse Victims in Anguish

Published

on

Tears and anguish characterized the atmosphere as the grieving families of 13 worshipers killed in a church collapse arrived at the Richards Bay mortuary to identify the bodies of their loved ones.

The worshipers died when a wall collapsed at the Pentecostal Holiness Church near Empangeni in northern KwaZulu-Natal last Thursday night.

The KwaZulu-Natal Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Department co-ordinated with various departments including health, home affairs and the police, to assist in speeding up the body identification process.

Six worshippers were from Ulundi, four from eSikhawini and three from Maqwakazi in uMlalazi.

Describing the collapse, Phumelele Simelane from eSikhawini said worshippers had just had their evening meal and were preparing to sleep when the wall caved in.

Simelane was with her 6-year-old son, who is recovering in hospital. She said she came to the mortuary to support congregants whose relatives died.

The Mthembu family, who lost grandmother Thembi Mthabela, 54, and Andiswa Mthembu, 10, in the tragedy were overcome with grief.

“Thembi loved going to church and she always took Andiswa with her. Andiswa was doing Grade 3 at Nyathini Primary School. As a family, we are very traumatised and it is hard for us,” said a relative, who did not wanted to be named.

Buhle Mzila, whose sister Samke, 33, died, said the family had lost a breadwinner.

Samke, who worked at the Ulundi Municipality, was with her 9-year-old daughter during the incident.

Buhle said her niece, who was in hospital, was in a state of shock about her mother’s death.

“Samke loved the church, she always made sure she attended every service. She played a big role in terms of assisting the family. We are still going to feel her absence,” said Buhle.

A sobbing Mbongeni Langa said his mother had died in a “place she loved”.

The memorial service will be held tomorrow

Continue Reading

Motherland News

CAF Sidelines Nigerian Centre Referees for 2019 AFCON

Published

on

Out of the Twenty-seven centre referees penciled down for the 2019 African Cup of Nations, countries like Burundi, Mali, Zambia and Sudan are represented on the list, but no Nigerian referee was selected for the big occasions.

However, only one assistant referee from Nigeria named Baba Adel was listed among the twenty-nine assistant referees selected by the African Football Governing Body.

The competition will be held from 21 June to 19 July 2019, as per the decision of the CAF Executive Committee on 20 July 2017.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved