page contents
Connect with us

Nature

At least 200 dead as flash floods and landslides devastate the Philippines

Published

on

At least 200 people have died in the Philippines as a tropical storm triggered landslides and flash floods.

Rescuers are searching for survivors of Storm Tembin, which has left scores missing and thousands homeless.

The country’s misery was compounded by the death of at least 37 people in a shopping mall fire.

The Philippines is battered by about 20 typhoons a year and warnings are routinely issued.

But the level of destruction wreaked by Storm Tembin on the southern island of Mindanao from late on Friday came as a surprise.

At least 200 dead as flash floods and landslides devastate the PhilippinesAt least 200 dead as flash floods and landslides devastate the Philippines

‘It happened very fast, the flood waters quickly rose filling our house,’ farmer Felipe Ybarsabal, 65, said.

‘We weren’t able to save anything from the house. There was no help from anyone because it was so fast. Everything was two to three metres under water in less than an hour.’

Police and disaster officials predict the death toll to rise as remote farm communities and coastal areas have been badly hit.

Disaster officials said 159 people are missing while about 70,000 had been forced from their homes.

At least 200 dead as flash floods and landslides devastate the PhilippinesAt least 200 dead as flash floods and landslides devastate the Philippines

Soldiers and police joined emergency workers and volunteers to search for survivors and victims, clear debris and restore power and communications.

Many villagers ignored warnings to leave coastal areas and move away from riverbanks, officials said, and got swept away when flash floods and landslides struck.

Storm Tembin was moving west on Sunday, over some outlying Philippine islands and the South China Sea towards southern Vietnam.

It intensified into a typhoon with winds of 75 mph as it moved out of the Philippines, the national meteorological agency said.

 

 

Nature

Havana Tornado: Cuba warns citizens to stay off street to avoid more casualties.

Published

on

A powerful Havana Tornado has hit cuba, crippling the activities of the day, and the authorities have warned the people to stay off the street.



The authorities have been communicating updates on any development to the people through media platforms to keep them aware of the development thou revealing that Part of the capital is completely dark and they heavy winds overturned vehicles, uprooted trees and lamp posts.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

A source has confirmed that the firefighters and ambulances rushed about on rescue missions, their flashing lights giving light to blacked out areas.

Image result for Havana Tornado: Cuba warns citizens to stay off street to avoid more casualties.

President Miguel Diaz-Canel confirms the incident stating, that the demage is severe, after visiting the cuban capital city.

“As of now we mourn the loss of three human lives. 174 injured people are receiving aid” He added that several emergency teams were working hard to restore power to blacked-out areas.

At the Hijas de Galicia maternity hospital staffs were forced to evacuate the building because of storm damage.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The thernado, spawned by a powerful storm that originated in the Gulf of Mexico, hit western Cuba with winds of up to 100 kilometres per hour.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Nature

Scores still missing as deadly flash landslide continues to rock Indonesia

Published

on

Head of South Sulawesi’s disaster mitigation agency said over 3,400 people have lost their homes since the rainfall and strong winds hit heavily in the southern part of Sulawesi island on Wednesday and Thursday when speaking to the news agency.



However, he urge the residents to locate the temporary shelters that have been set up by the disaster mitigation agency in helping ensuring safety.

The authorities has confirmed that southern part of Sulawesi island suffered massive casualties, with 42 people found dead, adding that they are also working with volunteer in search of the missing ones,the major roads have been blocked prompting to lunch helicopter to deliver and monitor the situation.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Those evacuated were given refuge in schools, mosques and tents. At least 46 are being treated at local hospitals and health clinics.

Image result for Scores still missing as deadly flash landslide continues to rock Indonesia

On Thursday, the agency said that while flooding in the province was receding “the search and evacuation process is still ongoing”.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the national disaster agency has also notified the people that the Parts of Makassar were overpower with floodwater,

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The floods have paralyzed the activities of the state also damaged houses, government buildings, schools and bridges.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved