Connect with us

Motherland News

Canada: Mum-of-two, vaginal mesh campaigner dies from sepsis four years after having controversial device fitted.

Published

on

A campaigner against the use of controversial vaginal mesh has died after a four-year battle with persistent infections.

Chrissy Brajcic’s husband Tony confirmed her death on Facebook on Sunday night.

It is thought the mum-of-two was killed by sepsis , which she had been struggling with for several months.

The 42-year-old was a prominent campaigner against the plastic implants, often used to treat vagina, uterus, bowel, bladder or urethra prolapse after childbirth and incontinence.

The Canadian had her implant installed in 2013 having suffered mild stress incontinence after the birth of her sons Ben and Jake.

She said doctor’s assured her the vaginal mesh, also known as a tension free vaginal tape, was completely safe.

But Mrs Brajcic, a former interior designer from Ontario, said she was unaware that the device can twist and cut through internal tissue.

Many women have reported unbearable pain after the 20-minute operation, which is completed on thousands of patients in the UK every year.

During her final months, Mrs Brajcic kept a Facebook video diary detailing her struggle with the device and attracting thousands of viewers.

In one of her final posts she wrote: “After my near death experience a few weeks ago with sepsis from drug resistant infections from surgical mesh.

“I feel now more then ever I need to advocate for the mesh injured. I will never stop fighting.”

Mrs Brajcic’s death comes just a week after the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence recommended banning the device in the UK.

Confirming his wife’s death on her Facebook page, Mr Brajcic wrote: “It’s clear by all of your messages that Chrissy was truly a special woman and touched the lives of many people.

“We have been overwhelmed by your expressions of interest in attending her memorial service.

“Again thank you so much on behalf of the family. We wish everyone the best in managing any health conditions that you face.”

Crime

Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe

Published

on

Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.

The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).

The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.

According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.

It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.

“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.

“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”

The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival

Published

on

Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.

Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.

But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.

“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.

The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.

Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.

The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.

That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.

Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.

“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.

He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.

“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved