Shop worker Jodie Willsher died as a result of her injuries following the attack in Skipton, North Yorkshire, yesterday afternoon.

A 44-year-old man has been arrested, initially on suspicion of attempted murder.

Jodie has been described as a ‘beautiful, fun loving and caring person’ by stunned relatives.

Her husband Mal Willshire posted two pictures of Jodie on his Facebook page this morning, and friends voiced their shock at her death.

Tai Livesey wrote: “What a beautiful lady, inside and out.”

Cousin Chris Wales wrote: “Yesterday we lost a beautiful, fun loving and caring person. How can life be so cruel, a selfless act by one person has left a husband without a wife and a little girl without her mother.

“You weren’t just my Cousin Jodie, you were like the sister I never had and now I’m broken you’ve gone.

“Be the brightest star in the sky and sleep tight x”

And Stephen Mark Ball wrote: “I’m shocked beyond belief.”

Friend Sam Miguel Walbank posted: “I remember the days when we were at work together on the same floor and on the same row of desks and this lovely lady came into your life.

“She became the light of your life and was a privilege to see you so happy and marry this wonderful lady and start a wonderful family together.

I have no other words i can give or say to start to understand why.. all i can say is my thoughts are with you and your daughter and the rest of your family. Sending lots of love to you all. xxxx”

Taking to Facebook after the attack, a shaken customer described how she had to “dart” out of the Aldi supermarket following the alleged stabbing.

“World has gone mental just had to dart out of Aldi in Skipton some one has been stabbed right next to me on one of the isles (sic),” she claimed.

North Yorkshire Police confirmed that staff and shoppers had detained a suspect before officers arrived at the scene.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “The suspect was initially detained by brave members of staff and public, before he was arrested by officers who were quickly on scene.

“He was taken into custody on suspicion of attempted murder, but it has now turned into a murder investigation despite the efforts of medics to save the victim.

“The woman’s family are being supported by police officers while enquiries continue.”