page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigerians protesters demand the release of Shi’ite leader.

Published

on

More than 200 members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) and Pro-Democracy group, Concerned Nigerians, protested in Abuja on Wednesday to demand the release of their leader Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky.

Concerned Nigerians said in a statement on Tuesday (January 16) the group would begin daily “sit-outs” on Wednesday to protest alleged killings of members of IMN and demand Zakzaky’s release.

Convener, Concerned Nigerians, Deji Adeyanju said they are asking the government to do what is right.

What is happening to the Shia leader and the members of the Islamic Movement is completely injustice. A situation where they kill…. continuously kill their members you know… and continuously detain their leader. It’s uncalled for, it is against the norm of justice and equity and as sane Nigerians, as responsible Nigerians we must as a matter of fact condemn it which is exactly what we are doing ,” he added.

Shia Muslim cleric Zakzaky, has been imprisoned at an unknown location without charge since December 2015 after his followers clashed with the army in the northern city of Zaria.

Rumored to have died in detention, Zakzaky made his first public appearance in two years on Saturday.

Member of Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Mohalled Ibrahim Gamawa said they are under threat.

“We are being gunned down by policemen day in day out, and soldiers. Many of our members have been killed last week and from all indications they are going to kill our members the more this week because we believe that street protests is our right and we must come out and demonstrate if Sheik Ibrahim Zakzaky is not being released. So we ,

In 2016, Nigeria’s northern state of Kaduna declared IMN a minority sect in the mainly Sunni Muslim north – unlawful on security grounds.

The ban triggered a wave of attacks on IMN members, worsening sectarian rivalries in northern Nigeria, where the army is also fighting Boko Haram.

Motherland News

UN reports about 900 fatalities in DR Congo’s ethnic violence.

Published

on

The united nations report that at least 890 people were killed in over just 3 days in ethnic violence in western DRC in mid-december.

The UN Human Rights Office reports the violence took place in four villages between Banunu and Batende communities.



The UN however warns the death toll could be higher. But there seems to be conflicting death tolls for the violence.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

A local priest and a civil society activist earlier in the week said at least 400 people had died in bloodshed that even led to the government canceling voting in last month’s presidential polls.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The UN insists that 890 is the number of people known to have been buried.

The recent attack from the ethnic clashes in Yumbi, Mai-Ndombe Province allegedly started when members of the Banunu tribe wanted to bury one of their traditional chiefs on Batende land.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Britain, UN worry over Internet shutdown in Zimbabwe.

Published

on

In the wake of deadly protests against a fuel price hike, and an ongoing internet shutdown in Zimbabwe, the United Nations has urged the government to stop “excessive use of force” by security forces including firing live ammunition.

The government has said three people died during demonstrations that broke out on Monday after President Emmerson Mnangagwa raised fuel prices by 150 percent.

Lawyers and activists say the toll was much higher and that security forces used violence and carried out mass arrests to quell the unrest.



The internet was cut off earlier this week, with critics saying the government sought to prevent images of its heavy-handedness in dealing with protesters from being broadcast around the world.

Leading mobile operator Econet Wireless said the government had ordered it to shut down services.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“We were served with another directive for total shutdown of the internet until further notice,” Econet said in a statement.

“Our lawyers advised that we are required to comply with the directive pending the court’s decision on its legality.”

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Friday’s fuller internet shutdown also affected emails.

Due to the shutdown, Harare banks were providing only partial services and no cash machines were working, a witness said, while long queues formed at petrol stations and shops.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved