page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Ghana to keep ex-Gitmo detainees as 2016 deal with U.S. expires.

Published

on

Ghana will have to work at integrating two Yemeni nationals it received from the United States government in 2016, a Minister has told lawmakers.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey, told parliament that under the deal that brought to two ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees into the country, Ghana government was responsible for their reintegration.

The parliament had summoned her to give the way forward on the status of the two after the expiration of the two-year duration agreed in the said deal. She disclosed that the duo were granted refugee status by the last government as part of the deal.

The two men, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby, arrived in Ghana in January 2016 to a huge outcry by a section of civil society.

Many Ghanaians said the detainees posed a threat to national security, but both governments at the time denied the claims. The country’s apex court in mid-2017 ruled that the then president John Dramani Mahama erred in accepting the two.

The court said the government had to seek legislative clearance before entering an agreement of the sort. They subsequently ruled the move as unconstitutional. The Justices gave parliament three months to ratify the deal or that the detainees be deported.

The issue reached the courts after two private citizens sued the Attorney General and Minister of Justice together with the Minister of Interior for the then government’s decision to admit the two former terror suspects without recourse to the law.

The then-government had previously explained to the court that the content of the agreement entered into by the two governments was a diplomatic communication that was unsigned and written in the third person.

The court, however, disagreed and subsequently ordered that copies of the agreement be made available to lawyers for the plaintiffs.

Business

Absa became the new competitor on the Ethiopia market.

Published

on

Absa Bank Of South Africa’s  has become the Latest Multinational Corporation to show Interest in Organizing the Ethiopia market.

Ethiopia has since Prevented Foreign Ownership in Economic Sectors that Includes Banking but Abiy Ahmed has began to take fast Action on the issue since he came to power in April.



Jason Quinn, the bank’s chief financial officer, told reporters that Absa was investigating on how and where to enter in a number of populating market, including Nigeria and Angola.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Am Entrance made into the Ethiopia market of 100 million People, would be part of a Scheme made by Absa after it break from Britain’s Barclays in 2017.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Ethiopia has plans to liberalise state-owned companies including Ethiopian Airlines, Ethio Telecom, Ethiopian Shipping & Logistics Services Enterprise, and Ethiopian Electric Power, in order to attract foreign direct investment and stimulate growth.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Black box of the Ethiopian Airline Crash recovered.

Published

on

The United Nations described the Sunday crash of the Ethiopia airline as disastrous saying it has cost them a great loss.



IMG-20180912-WA0030

Michael Moller, director-general of the U.N. European head garters said this was the worst loss suffered in years in Geneva in a statement where 150 people where gathered.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Investigators in Ethiopia have recovered the black box from the ill-fated Ethiopian airline this Sunday.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved