page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

U.S., U.K. appalled by DR Congo’s crackdown on peaceful protests.

Published

on

The United States and United Kingdom have issued a joint statement on the political situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

The statement said both countries were appalled by use of deadly force by security forces on protesters on 21 January. Which incident claimed the lives of six people with others sustaining injuries.

“The use of disproportionate and lethal force against Congolese citizens and the cutting of internet and SMS services breached assurances from the DRC Presidency that security forces had been instructed to protect the fundamental rights of citizens while maintaining public order,” the statement read.

It also expressed concerns over what it said was arbitrary arrests of persons including religious leaders, journalists and protesters. A local NGO reported that 10 priests were being mistreated in state detention.

The U.S. and U.K. stressed that by its clampdown on peaceful protests, Kinshasa was effectively impeding the democratic process and obstructing the St. Sylvestre Accord signed in December 2016.

They said government’s actions also contravened international human rights norms including that of the U.N. human rights council – which the DRC is currently a member of.

“We call on the government to investigate and hold accountable security force members who fired on civilians or ordered the use of lethal force.

“We also reiterate our call to the DRC government to release political prisoners, end politically motivated persecutions, stop the duplication of political parties, allow political parties to change the representatives of the National Independent Electoral Commission, and respect the fundamental freedoms of the Congolese people as it agreed to do when it signed the St. Sylvestre Accord on 31 December 2016,” the statement concluded.

The statement was issued by their respective embassies in the DRC signed by British Ambassador, John Murton and Jennifer Haskell, U.S. Chargé d’Affaires.

Business

Absa became the new competitor on the Ethiopia market.

Published

on

Absa Bank Of South Africa’s  has become the Latest Multinational Corporation to show Interest in Organizing the Ethiopia market.

Ethiopia has since Prevented Foreign Ownership in Economic Sectors that Includes Banking but Abiy Ahmed has began to take fast Action on the issue since he came to power in April.



Jason Quinn, the bank’s chief financial officer, told reporters that Absa was investigating on how and where to enter in a number of populating market, including Nigeria and Angola.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Am Entrance made into the Ethiopia market of 100 million People, would be part of a Scheme made by Absa after it break from Britain’s Barclays in 2017.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Ethiopia has plans to liberalise state-owned companies including Ethiopian Airlines, Ethio Telecom, Ethiopian Shipping & Logistics Services Enterprise, and Ethiopian Electric Power, in order to attract foreign direct investment and stimulate growth.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Black box of the Ethiopian Airline Crash recovered.

Published

on

The United Nations described the Sunday crash of the Ethiopia airline as disastrous saying it has cost them a great loss.



IMG-20180912-WA0030

Michael Moller, director-general of the U.N. European head garters said this was the worst loss suffered in years in Geneva in a statement where 150 people where gathered.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Investigators in Ethiopia have recovered the black box from the ill-fated Ethiopian airline this Sunday.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved