page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Investors excited by “new era” in South Africa – Ramaphosa.

Published

on

South Africa, Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa on Thursday at the World’s Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland said Investors are excited about a “new era” amid rising speculation that he may soon replace President Jacob Zuma as head of state.

Ramaphosa said on the sidelines of the Davos economic summit that investors had demonstrated that South Africa was “still an important destination for investment”

“I think we’re going back home filled with a great deal of confidence of the confidence that the international investing community has in us. They have demonstrated that South Africa is still an important destination for investment,” he said.

Ramaphosa succeeded Zuma as the head of the ruling African National Congress last month and there have since been increasing calls from within the party for Zuma to be forced out.

“The positive thing about all this state capture process is that, one, we are now going to go to the depth of what corruption has been taking place in our state-owned enterprises. I think that is a huge plus. Two, we’ve got an independent judge who is going to look at all this,” he added.

Ramaphosa succeeded Zuma as the head of the ruling African National Congress last month and there have since been increasing calls from within the party for Zuma to be forced out.

Zuma became president in 2009 and is set to serve until his second term ends next year, but the ruling African National Congress says it is deciding whether to cut short his tenure in favour of Ramaphosa.

The 75-year-old president has faced and denied numerous corruption allegations since taking office in 2009 and has survived several votes of nonconfidence in parliament.

Ramaphosa is in pole position to win next year’s election. He has pledged to combat corruption and some party officials say he would boost the ANC’s electoral chances were he to take the reins early.

Motherland News

Families Identify Church Collapse Victims in Anguish

Published

on

Tears and anguish characterized the atmosphere as the grieving families of 13 worshipers killed in a church collapse arrived at the Richards Bay mortuary to identify the bodies of their loved ones.

The worshipers died when a wall collapsed at the Pentecostal Holiness Church near Empangeni in northern KwaZulu-Natal last Thursday night.

The KwaZulu-Natal Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Department co-ordinated with various departments including health, home affairs and the police, to assist in speeding up the body identification process.

Six worshippers were from Ulundi, four from eSikhawini and three from Maqwakazi in uMlalazi.

Describing the collapse, Phumelele Simelane from eSikhawini said worshippers had just had their evening meal and were preparing to sleep when the wall caved in.

Simelane was with her 6-year-old son, who is recovering in hospital. She said she came to the mortuary to support congregants whose relatives died.

The Mthembu family, who lost grandmother Thembi Mthabela, 54, and Andiswa Mthembu, 10, in the tragedy were overcome with grief.

“Thembi loved going to church and she always took Andiswa with her. Andiswa was doing Grade 3 at Nyathini Primary School. As a family, we are very traumatised and it is hard for us,” said a relative, who did not wanted to be named.

Buhle Mzila, whose sister Samke, 33, died, said the family had lost a breadwinner.

Samke, who worked at the Ulundi Municipality, was with her 9-year-old daughter during the incident.

Buhle said her niece, who was in hospital, was in a state of shock about her mother’s death.

“Samke loved the church, she always made sure she attended every service. She played a big role in terms of assisting the family. We are still going to feel her absence,” said Buhle.

A sobbing Mbongeni Langa said his mother had died in a “place she loved”.

The memorial service will be held tomorrow

Continue Reading

Motherland News

CAF Sidelines Nigerian Centre Referees for 2019 AFCON

Published

on

Out of the Twenty-seven centre referees penciled down for the 2019 African Cup of Nations, countries like Burundi, Mali, Zambia and Sudan are represented on the list, but no Nigerian referee was selected for the big occasions.

However, only one assistant referee from Nigeria named Baba Adel was listed among the twenty-nine assistant referees selected by the African Football Governing Body.

The competition will be held from 21 June to 19 July 2019, as per the decision of the CAF Executive Committee on 20 July 2017.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved