page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

TANZANIA PRESIDENT TO PROBE INTO EUROPEAN TRIPS BY JUDGES

Published

on

Tanzanian president John Pombe Magufuli has tasked the Chief Justice to probe how some judges are able to go on expensive European vacations, The Citizen portal reports.

According to him, knowing how much judges ordinarily earn, it was baffling that some judges are able to fly with their families abroad and stay in expensive hotels.

“I know salaries of judges. They are not very different from my salary but I wonder how do some judges manage to spend their holidays in Europe every year?

“They go there with their families and spend one month in those hotels. You (CJ Ibrahim Juma) need to get to the bottom of this issue,” Magufuli nicknamed the bulldozer added.

He was speaking at an event to climax the beginning of a new law year on Thursday, February 1, 2018. Incidentally at the start of the week-long celebration, the CJ had also warned politicians and civil servants to stay off the judicial arm of government.

“Anybody who does so will be dealt with accordingly … this is the message I want to send. We are going to be stricter at this at the magistrates’ and judges’ level in dealing with anyone who crosses over to interfere with our decisions and independence.

“I appeal to all government leaders to refrain from meddling with the issues that are within the rights, status and constitutional authority of the judiciary,” the 60-year-old who was appointed in September 2017 stressed.

Magufuli in October last year disclosed how much he earned monthly as president of the East African country.

Speaking on a live television programme this morning, the 58-year-old leader said his salary was 9 million Tanzanian shillings. The amount translates to a little above $4,000 or £3,000.

Whiles addressing a local government agency – the Association of Local Authorities – Magufuli reiterated the need to combat corruption in all facets of government machinery.

Motherland News

PM Abiy reiterates Ethiopia’s decision over latest clampdown.

Published

on

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has finally spoken on ongoing anti-corruption and rights abuse clampdown stating that there was not going to be any backing down let alone retreat.

A statement from the Abiy’s office issued in Amharic tasked citizens to rally behind the development as a means of ridding the country of lawlessness and criminal elements.

State-affiliated FBC reported that the statement titled, ‘Let’s Fight (the) Cancer,’ said the government was bent on bringing people behind injustices to book.



The statement said the underlying objective of recent arrests was to get rid of Ethiopia criminals. “… criminals do not care about ethnicity, country, or morality; they only care for themselves.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“The key to justice is to create a system for innocent citizens to live in freedom and dignity while criminals are held accountable and punished in accordance with the law,” the statement read in part.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Since early this week, authorities have announced the arrest of over sixty former military and intelligence officials arrested in connection with rights abuse in prisons and gross corruption in the military run business conglomerate, Metals and Engineering Corporation, MetEC.

A former head of MetEC, Kinfe Dagnew; and a former intelligence chiefs, Tekleberhan Woldearegay and Yared Zerihun have all been detained and put before courts in the capital, Addis Ababa.

Head of security at the state monopoly, Ethio Telecom, Gudeta Olana, has also been arrested as has head of the entity and brother of ex-MetEC boss, Essayas Dagnew.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

New Zealand denies refusing refugees with holiday visas entry.

Published

on

New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, on Friday, rejected allegations that the country’s government was blocking refugees who wished to travel into the country from Nauru on visitor visas.

Nauru’s president, Baron Waqa, also claimed in an interview with Australian media that he had also personally brokered a deal for New Zealand to accept 80 refugees currently located on the island.



“It’s incorrect to say that there is some kind of agreement for 80 specific individuals to take residence or visit,’’ Ardern told media at the East Asia Summit in Singapore.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“The request did not ask about whether refugees could visit New Zealand on holiday visas,’’ he added.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The country assessed all applications for visitor visas on a case-by-case basis. This applies regardless of a person’s country of origin or nationality.

The country is under pressure to transfer the remaining 30 children from the island.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved