page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

THE GAMBIA ADOPTS FIRST NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.

Published

on

President Adama Barrow has launched a National Development Plan (NDP) for The Gambia. The document is the first such after the ouster of long serving leader, Yahya Jammeh.

According to the president: “The goal of the NDP is to deliver good governance and accountability, social cohesion and national reconciliation. Adding that: “It aims to revitalize and transform the economy for the wellbeing of all Gambians.”

The launch was held in the presence of the vice-president and speaker of parliament along with key government officials. Representatives of the United Nations and the European Union were also present at the occasion.

In his address, Barrow said the document had been written with continental and global projections in mind.  “It will also contribute to realisation of our global and regional commitments such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and African Union (AU) Agenda 2063,” he said.

View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

The plan meant to span between 2018 and 2021 seeks to bring about total and inclusive development in the tiny West African country. It is accompanied by a financing strategy that clearly articulates the financing arrangements for the effective implementation.

The presidential spokeswoman confirmed that there was going to be a national campaign to educate the citizenry on the roles they can play to ensure the realization of set goals as contained in the plan.

The Gambian economy is said to have suffered gross mismanagement during the over two decade rule of Yahya Jammeh. The former leader is accused of diverting state funds into his private custody. A government commission continues to hear testimony of how funds were pillaged.

Barrow has also nominated an executive secretary for a reconciliation commission meant to deal with rights abuse during the Jammeh ear. The commission will also be expected to offer reparation to victims where need be. Jammeh is currently on exile in Equatorial Guinea since early 2017.

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved