page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

FACEBOOK BLOCKS ETHIOPIAN ACTIVIST OVER HYPERACTIVITY.

Published

on

An influential Ethiopian political activist has had his Facebook account temporarily blocked over what could best be described as hyperactivity.

But the social media giant’s official decision to block Jawar Mohammed despite using a verified profile was: “It looks like you were misusing this feature by going too fast.”

According to the United States based activist, his account had been blocked since Tuesday February 13, 2018. He added on his Twitter account (also verified) that: “I have contacted them in all available ways but no response.”

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

He, however, said he suspected that he had been blocked because of his political activities. Tuesday was a big day in Ethiopia’s politics as top political detainees were released by the government.

Commenting via twitter he said: “My suspicion comes from (1) I have been posting as fast if not faster for the last 3 years to update my 1.2 million followers but never had problem. (2) Facebook did not give me any warning before blocking me © did not send me notice how long I’ll be blocked as it does with other accounts.

“It is hard to believe Facebook thought my account is scamming or any thing like that since I have been very active on the platform. I am one of the earliest people to join in 2005 when it was still restricted to college students and my account is verified,” he continued.

He further asserted that as someone with a huge follower base on the platform, Facebook’s action was beyond violating his rights, also affecting his work.

Then at a point he switched gears opting to look at the somewhat funny aspect of the development.

Whiles admitting the impact that social media has in the milieu of political struggles, he stressed that in the case of Ethiopia, they had reasonably weaned themselves off social media dependency.

“We are going to win with or without social media. We have long passed that threshold where social movements heavily rely on social media. Look no further than last few days to see what we can do without internet,” he said in a tweet.

Meanwhile, activity on his Facebook wall has been restricted to people posting materials on his timeline. Of significant note is a hashtag calling on Facebook to unblock him and an online petition which has so far passed the 2500 mark as at 3:30 CAT (February 15, 2018).

“We call upon Facebook to immediately unblock the Facebook account of Jawar Mohammed, the Executive Director of Oromia Media Network and a prominent Ethiopian political activist with over 1.2 million followers.

“It is particularly disconcerting to see Facebook block Jawar’s account at this critical time when the Ethiopian people are campaigning to free all political prisoners in Ethiopia.

“Jawar, as long time and prolific user of Facebook for over 13 years, has significant role in this effort of the Ethiopian people to free themselves of the existing repressive regime,” the petition said in parts.

He is an influential Oromo activist who feeds timely and credible information on events back home on his social media handles.

Mohammed, who is the Executive Director of Oromia Media Network, was in 2017 charged with terrorism along with Oromo Federalist Congress (OFC) leader Merera Gudina and a third person.

He mocked the charge describing it as one delivered by a kangaroo court. Jawar’s charge was largely based on the fact that his outlet had served as a conduit through which the OFC and Patriotic G7 had fuelled wide spreading protests in the Amhara and Oromia regions of the country.

At the time the charge sheet said the three accused were involved in “creating pressure against the government, threatening society through the means of violence” and attempting to “disrupt constitutional order.”

Gudina has since been released after over 400 days in detention. The government dropped charges against him and granted him pardon as part of wider political reforms aimed at engendering national cohesion.

The Oromia Media Network (OMN) describes itself as ‘‘an independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit news enterprise whose mission is to produce original and citizen-driven reporting on Oromia, the largest and most populous state in Ethiopia.’‘

According to its website, the necessity to establish such an outlet was because of the totalitarian state control over print and electronic media in the country. It says the state’s suppression of independent media continued to adversely affect people of Oromo whose population is around 40 million.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved