page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Sierra Leone holds presidential debate ahead of March 7 polls.

Published

on

The top six candidates in Sierra Leone’s March 7 presidential elections held a debate on Thursday evening in the capital Freetown.

The debate offered the candidates the opportunity to woo voters at a time when political campaigning across the West African country is at its peak.

The elections body has disclosed that there are a total of sixteen parties that had filed to contest the presidency. The other ten parties had earlier attempted to place an injunction on the debate citing discrimination.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

All six parties had their registered candidates showing up at the event. Questions fielded by ace journalist who works for the BBC centered around human development, the economy and national cohesion.

The parties that participated included the ruling All Peoples Congress (APC) led by immediate past foreign affairs minister, Samura Kamara. Sierra Leone Peoples Party (SLPP) main opposition led by Rtd Brig. Gen. Julius Maada Bio – a former military Head of State.

The other four were the Alliance Democratic Party (ADP) – breakaway from ruling APC (led by Mohamed Kamaraimba Mansaray). Coalition for Change (C4C) – another APCbreakaway led by Samuel Sam – Sumana – a former Vice President sacked by outgoing Koroma.

The National Grand Coalition (NGC) – a breakaway from main opposition SLPP led by Kandeh Yumkella, former U.N. senior official and Citizens Democratic Party (CDP) led by Musa Tarawally, a businessman.

Electoral campaigning was officially declared open by the Sierra Leone National Electoral Commission (NEC) on February 5, 2018.

The country is set to welcome a new leader as incumbent Ernest Bai Koroma leaves office after two terms. It is the fifth straight vote since return to multi-party elections but the third after the end of a civil war in 2002.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved