page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Kabul hotel reopens after deadly attack but guests stay away

Published

on

The piano notes of Richard Clayderman’s “Romeo and Juliet” accompanied Taliban gunmen as they rode gold mirrored elevators to the upper floors of a luxury Kabul hotel in search of guests to kill.

Stopping on nearly every floor of the Intercontinental Hotel, the heavily armed militants went from room to room, blasting away electronic door locks and shooting terrified guests during the hours-long attack on January 20.

At least 25 people, including 15 foreigners, were killed. Nearly seven weeks on, AFP was allowed to inspect the still badly damaged hilltop hotel overlooking the Afghan capital after it partially reopened its doors to the wary public.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Having repaired the ground floor, workmen ride up and down the landmark hotel’s plush elevators as they strip and rebuild the upper four floors that were also shot up, bombed and set alight in the raid.

The soothing piano music inside the lifts, which sales and marketing manager Rohullah Nawab said was also playing that night, provides a chilling contrast to the destruction in the hallways and rooms.

The smell of smoke permeates the upper floors where bullet-riddled mirrors, blackened walls, shattered door locks and burned carpets provide a grim reminder of the carnage caused during the 15-hour ordeal.

Clear plastic sheets are draped over furniture stacked up in some rooms as workmen paint walls, replace electrical wiring and install new windows and doors.

Nawab estimates it will take five months and around 40 million afghanis (nearly $600,000) to restore the government-owned hotel — which does not belong to the global InterContinental chain — to its former glory.

Repairing its reputation, however, will probably take much longer.

On the night of the attack 173 guests had checked into the 200-room hotel, Nawab said. Since then not a single room on the first floor — the only one undamaged in the attack — has been reserved in recent weeks since it reopened.

The ground-floor restaurant, where militants pretending to be guests launched the assault by opening fire on diners, has been repaired and every trace of the bloody incident erased.

But the buffet lunch — salads and silver dishes of hot food — had no takers when AFP reporters visited, and Nawab said only a handful of people had dared to eat there since the assault.

– Heavy discounts –
The hotel’s revenues have been devastated, plunging from more than one million afghanis a day to around 50,000 afghanis, Nawab said, with a couple of wedding parties and official functions providing succour.

But Nawab is confident the hotel will remain open. “It’s a historical hotel. The government will never close it,” he said.

To entice people back, the Intercontinental, which opened in the 1960s, has launched a publicity campaign on Afghan television talking up its history and offering discounts of up to 50 percent on food, rooms and events.

“It takes a lot of time to get back to business. It shocked the foreign community,” Nawab said.

Officials remain silent over how the attack was carried out. The interior ministry has submitted a report of its investigation to President Ashraf Ghani but there has been no public announcement.

Around a dozen hotel and security staff have been detained amid speculation the Taliban may have had insider help.

The deputy head of security told AFP last month that guards were ordered to wave through a car later revealed to be carrying militants and explosives ahead of the deadly assault.

Visitors to the hotel reported lax security before the attack — something that does not appear to have changed.

When AFP visited this week the privately-owned Kabul Balkh Safety & Security was still manning the vehicle checkpoints on the road leading up to the hotel, the only baggage scanner was still not working, and there were no armed guards inside the hotel.

Rohullah told AFP that the hotel was waiting for the National Directorate of Security, Afghanistan’s spy agency, to give advice on security upgrades.

Memories of the attack are still fresh in the minds of employees who returned to work several weeks after the raid.

Two waiters who jumped from the fourth floor are still in hospital, said Nawab, who himself narrowly avoided being caught up in the shooting inside the restaurant.

“It’s difficult but what should we do?” Nawab said.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved