page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

MAURITIUS SET TO IMPEACH FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT

Published

on

first female president

first female president

As Mauritius is preparing to celebrate its 50 years of independence, the government has decided to launch impeachment procedures to dismiss the President of the Republic, Ameenah Gurib-Fakim.

This decision was taken during a Cabinet meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth in the afternoon of Thursday, March 8.

Government members reportedly agreed that the first female president of Mauritius will have to leave her position after being implicated in an expenses scandal.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Influential media portal, L’Express last week reported that Fakim spent several hundred thousand rupees on personal purchases, using a Platinum credit card offered by a non governmental organisation, Planet Earth Institute (PEI).

PEI is owned by Álvaro Sobrinho, a controversial Angolan businessman, who initially worked with the president to offer scholarships to Mauritian students.

The president initially questioned the authenticity of the media reports, but later claimed to have reimbursed all the money spent with the credit card.

The President, who is a renowned scientist, told Radio Plus she will not resign.

“I will not resign. Let them institute their Tribunal. I will see later if I am guilty. Since 2017, I have already refunded all the money.“

The National Assembly is likely to be called next week, after independence Day celebrations on 12 March, and a motion under section 30(1) of the Constitution, will be on the agenda.

Under section 30(1), the President (or Vice President) may only be removed from office for

(a) violation of the constitution or any other serious act of misconduct or

(b) inability to perform his functions whether arising from infirmity of mind or body or from any other cause.

In order for the process to be initiated, a motion has to be made by the Prime Minister to parliament that the circumstances requiring the removal of the President or the Vice-President be investigated by a tribunal.

This motion must also particularise the ground on which the removal of the President is sought and be supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds of all the members of the Assembly.

Should the motion be successful, a tribunal consisting of a chairperson and 2 or 4 other members appointed by the Chief Justice , from amongst persons who hold or have held office as Judge, must be constituted to investigate the alleged violation or misconduct.

Should the tribunal, after its investigation, recommend the removal of the President to the Assembly, the Prime Minister, may then make a motion for the President’s removal.

Opposition MPs have also asked for the president’s resignation.

Ameenah Gurib-Fakim became the first woman to be sworn in as President of Mauritius in 2015.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved