Connect with us

Motherland News

Insight into Kaizer Chiefs stadium riot, a case study of South Africa football violence.

Published

on

Hundreds of angry fans of South African top flight side Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday evening (April 21) stormed the perimeter fencing at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban and went on rampage after a defeat.

The ensuing chaos led to attacks on the media, match officials and a security officer at the venue. Kaizer Chiefs lost the game by 2-0 to the Free State Stars in a semi-final cup match.

About eighteen people were injured, fire set to a part of the stands and damage to broadcast and advertising equipments around the stadium.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

A severely assaulted security officer was hospitalized but later discharged after he was repeatedly kicked in the chest and hit with plastic chairs by a section of the fans.

The fans were protesting the continued stay in office of coach of the side following a string of poor results. Coach Steve Komphela who managed to escape unhurt resigned his post immediately after the incident.

Police confirmed that one arrest had been made and that others would follow, most of the rowdy acts were captured on video with a number of these video clips having gone viral on social media space.

A 34-year-old man, Phelelani Jojisa, on Monday appeared in court on charges of malicious damage to property and pitch invasion following the riots. He is so far the only person who has so far been arrested over the violence. He is due back in court today (April 25).

In an initial condemnation of the fan violence of Saturday, the Premier Soccer League (PSL) said in a statement: ‘Hooliganism and thuggery of this nature has no place in football and acts of violence perpetrated by individuals are witnessed last night cannot be tolerated.’

A follow up statement of Monday confirmed that Chiefs had been charged over the conduct of their fans. ‘The Premier Soccer League has charged Kaizer Chiefs FC with bringing the League into disrepute and misconduct.’ The club is to appear before a disciplinary Committee on 03 May, 2018.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Crime

Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe

Published

on

Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.

The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).

The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.

According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.

It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.

“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.

“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”

The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival

Published

on

Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.

Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.

But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.

“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.

The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.

Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.

The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.

That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.

Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.

“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.

He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.

“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved