page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Angola okays Portugal’s compliance to try VP Manuel Vicente at home.

Published

on

A Portuguese court on Thursday ruled that former Angolan Vice President Manuel Vicente, accused by Portuguese prosecutors of corruption and money laundering, can be tried in Angola, which Portugal hopes will remove a major thorn in the bilateral ties.

The long-running case, which will now be sent to the African nation, has angered Angolan authorities, including its new president, Joao Lourenco, who argued that the investigation by Angola’s former colonial master challenged his country’s sovereignty.




Lourenco, who has vowed to clamp down on widespread corruption in his country insisted that Angola should judge any perpetrators. He took over last year after a nearly four decade rule by his predecessor, Jose Eduardo dos Santos. Most Angolans live in poverty despite the country’s massive oil wealth.

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Souza said the court’s decision “removes an irritant” in the bilateral ties. Angola is Portugal’s major trading partner and tens of thousands of Portuguese live and work there.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Vicente’s lawyers, cited by Lusa news agency, said they were satisfied with the decision.

Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva told SIC television: “The effect of this decision for foreign policy … should create conditions for the deepening of the bilateral relations”.

“Angola has been seeing this issue as an obstacle not allowing the relationship to reach a higher level which can now be easily attained. It is now a job for us, diplomats, to make it possible.”

Last month, Lourenco relieved the Angolan ambassador to Lisbon of his duties, but did not name a new envoy in a sign of pressure on Portugal to give up the Vicente case.

Vicente, who was once seen as a possible successor to President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, is accused of bribing a magistrate in Portugal when he was chief executive of Angolan state oil company Sonangol. He has denied any wrongdoing and has not visited Portugal since the investigation began.

Former Portuguese prosecutor, Orlando Figueira, who was arrested in early 2016, is on trial on charges of receiving a bribe of 760,000 euros ($850,000) to suspend an inquiry into Vicente’s dealings in Portugal before he became vice president.

According to local media, the investigation that was suspended in January 2012 focused on the origin of funds with which Vicente had bought a luxury apartment in Lisbon.

Angola ranked 167th of 180 countries in Transparency International’s 2017 Corruption Perceptions index.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

REUTERS

Business

Absa became the new competitor on the Ethiopia market.

Published

on

Absa Bank Of South Africa’s  has become the Latest Multinational Corporation to show Interest in Organizing the Ethiopia market.

Ethiopia has since Prevented Foreign Ownership in Economic Sectors that Includes Banking but Abiy Ahmed has began to take fast Action on the issue since he came to power in April.



Jason Quinn, the bank’s chief financial officer, told reporters that Absa was investigating on how and where to enter in a number of populating market, including Nigeria and Angola.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Am Entrance made into the Ethiopia market of 100 million People, would be part of a Scheme made by Absa after it break from Britain’s Barclays in 2017.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Ethiopia has plans to liberalise state-owned companies including Ethiopian Airlines, Ethio Telecom, Ethiopian Shipping & Logistics Services Enterprise, and Ethiopian Electric Power, in order to attract foreign direct investment and stimulate growth.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Black box of the Ethiopian Airline Crash recovered.

Published

on

The United Nations described the Sunday crash of the Ethiopia airline as disastrous saying it has cost them a great loss.



IMG-20180912-WA0030

Michael Moller, director-general of the U.N. European head garters said this was the worst loss suffered in years in Geneva in a statement where 150 people where gathered.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Investigators in Ethiopia have recovered the black box from the ill-fated Ethiopian airline this Sunday.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved