page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigeria now sufficiently safe and secure, says Buhari

Published

on

Muhammadu-Buhari

Despite the security challenges being witnessed in parts of the country, President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday said Nigeria under his watch was now sufficiently safe and secure.

He said since the first thing tourists all over the world looked out for was security, Nigeria was now open for tourism.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President said this while receiving the Secretary-General of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation, Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Buhari said the security situation in the country before the inception of his administration would have made it inconceivable to host an international tourism conference in Abuja like it was being done now.

The 61st UNWTO Commission for Africa conference is holding in Abuja.

The President said, “I am pleased that the country is now sufficiently safe and secure, and the message should go out to the world for all tourists and business travellers.

“The first thing tourists look out for is security and I am happy we have it now.

“Minister Lai Mohammed has been trying to convince the world that Nigeria is safe and has great potential for tourism and investment.

“I am glad that you and your team have come here to see things for yourself.”

Highlighting the nexus between tourism and sustainable development, the President said Nigeria would not be left behind in ensuring that communities and businesses benefit from tourism development.

In his remarks, Pololikashvili commended Nigeria for the successful hosting of the conference which brings together African Ministers of Tourism, principal executives of the global tourism body and other stakeholders in the tourism sector.

The UN tourism chief told Buhari that Nigeria had huge potential to develop the tourism sector considering its large economy.

“We can do it in Nigeria, we can create, convert Nigeria to the main tourist destination in Africa. There is a huge potential here. Culture, nature, food, you have everything here.

“You are investing in agriculture, improving seamless travel through visa-on-arrival programme, reforming the economy and doing so much on security. Nigeria is safe,” Pololikashvili said.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed said 166 delegates, including 26 tourism ministers from Africa were attending the UN tourism conference, holding from June 4 to June 6 in Abuja.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Punch

Motherland News

UN reports about 900 fatalities in DR Congo’s ethnic violence.

Published

on

The united nations report that at least 890 people were killed in over just 3 days in ethnic violence in western DRC in mid-december.

The UN Human Rights Office reports the violence took place in four villages between Banunu and Batende communities.



The UN however warns the death toll could be higher. But there seems to be conflicting death tolls for the violence.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

A local priest and a civil society activist earlier in the week said at least 400 people had died in bloodshed that even led to the government canceling voting in last month’s presidential polls.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The UN insists that 890 is the number of people known to have been buried.

The recent attack from the ethnic clashes in Yumbi, Mai-Ndombe Province allegedly started when members of the Banunu tribe wanted to bury one of their traditional chiefs on Batende land.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Britain, UN worry over Internet shutdown in Zimbabwe.

Published

on

In the wake of deadly protests against a fuel price hike, and an ongoing internet shutdown in Zimbabwe, the United Nations has urged the government to stop “excessive use of force” by security forces including firing live ammunition.

The government has said three people died during demonstrations that broke out on Monday after President Emmerson Mnangagwa raised fuel prices by 150 percent.

Lawyers and activists say the toll was much higher and that security forces used violence and carried out mass arrests to quell the unrest.



The internet was cut off earlier this week, with critics saying the government sought to prevent images of its heavy-handedness in dealing with protesters from being broadcast around the world.

Leading mobile operator Econet Wireless said the government had ordered it to shut down services.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“We were served with another directive for total shutdown of the internet until further notice,” Econet said in a statement.

“Our lawyers advised that we are required to comply with the directive pending the court’s decision on its legality.”

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Friday’s fuller internet shutdown also affected emails.

Due to the shutdown, Harare banks were providing only partial services and no cash machines were working, a witness said, while long queues formed at petrol stations and shops.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved