page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigeria: Court Stops Shekarau From Traveling Abroad

Published

on

Shekarau

The Federal High Court sitting in Kano has refused an application by a former governor of Kano State, Ibrahim Shekarau, for the release of his international passport to enable him travel to Saudi Arabia for lesser hajj.

A statement by the spokesman for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Wilson Uwujaren, revealed that Justice Zainab Abubakar declined the request on Tuesday.

According to the anti-graft agency, Shekarau approached the court with a motion on notice dated May 28, 2018.

He urged the court to direct its Deputy Chief Registrar to release his international passport to enable him travel to Saudi Arabia from May 30 to June 23, 2018, for lesser hajj.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

In response to the motion, counsel for the respondent, Johnson Ojogbane, filed a nine-paragraph counter affidavit to oppose the motion.

When the case came up on June 12 for hearing, counsel to the former governor, Abdul Adamu, moved his application and adopted the written address attached to the application in his argument.

Ojogbane, on the other hand, moved his nine-paragraph counter affidavit, urging the court to refuse the application.

Delivering her ruling on the matter, Justice Abubakar held that it was irrelevant to grant the request after listening to the arguments of both parties.

She said, “After due consideration of the motion of the defendant applicant and the counter affidavit of the respondent, I deem it unnecessary to release the passport of the defendant applicant as it is one of the conditions in the grant of his bail”.

The judged subsequently refused and dismissed the application for lack of merit.

Former governor Shekarau was arraigned by the EFCC alongside two others, Aminu Wali and one Mansur Ahmed, for allegedly conniving to collect the sum of N950,000,000 – part of the $115,000,000 allegedly distributed by the former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Deizani Alison-Madueke, for the purpose of compromising the 2015 general election.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

ChannelsTv

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Motherland News

Protest leader arrested, charged with inciting violence in Zimbabwe.

Published

on

Armed police in Zimbabwe have arrested a political activist at his home on Wednesday, his lawyer said.

It comes as protests against fuel price hikes enters day 3 Wednesday. Evan Mawarire, a Harare pastor, rose to prominence as a critic of former leader, Robert Mugabe.

Beatrice Mtetwa is lawyer for Evan Mawarire.



Businesses and schools remain closed while mobile telecom networks enforce a government internet shut down in this Southern African nation.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“I cannot say the stay away has been successful but at the end of the day we await to hear what the government will do because the people have spoken, they were not happy and up to now they are still in fear”, said Harare resident, Ronald Gwasira.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“The way it looks people want to go to work but unfortunately it seems the transport operators are not willing to take them”, said Terrence Gumbi, another resident.

Wednesday is the third and final day of stay-at-home protests called by unions in response to the steep hike in fuel prices.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Kenya: Uhuru Kenyata promises avenge terror attack in Nirobi.

Published

on

Kenyan security forces have neutralised all four terrorists involved in the attack on a hotel complex in the capital Nairobi, President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday.

Kenyatta said about 700 people had been safely evacuated, vowed to avenge the 14 “innocent” lives lost.



“We are a nation that never forgets those who hurt our children. We will pursue relentlessly those involved in the planning and execution of this attack,” the president said.

‘‘I take note of Kenyans who took to social media to spread hope and criticise false information. You have shown the world bravery, patriotism and love.’‘

IMG-20180912-WA0030

he attack in numbers

  • 14 civilians confirmed dead

  • 700 people safely evacuated

  • 4 attackers neutralised

Victims

An earlier estimate put the death toll at 15.

Timeline of the attack

  • Tuesday 3pm (local time): Attack on dusitD2 hotel begins with two explosions

  • Tuesday 5:55pm: Al Shabaab claims responsibility

  • Tuesday night: AU, EU, UN, United States, Somalia condemn the attack

  • Tuesday night : Police announces it has secured 7 out of eight floors

  • Wednesday 6am: Gunshots ring out as police say at least two groups of people still trapped inside complex

  • Wednesday 8am: President Kenyatta declares terror attack and security operation ‘over’.

  • TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
    WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved