page contents
Connect with us

Crime

South Africa: Police investigates shooting of Glebelands resident at Tavern

Published

on

Chiefs Tavern

The Independent Community Activist for Human Rights & Social Justice said on Tuesday that community members had reported that a resident of Block 48 in KwaZulu-Natal’s notoriously violent Glebelands hostel had died in “a hail of bullets” at the area’s Chiefs Tavern.

Independent Community Activist for Human Rights & Social Justice spokesperson Vanessa Burger said the incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning.



“The deceased was allegedly shot at least nine times and is believed to have died at the scene. The suspect, purportedly also a resident of Block 48, is apparently still at large. The motive for the murder is not yet known.”

Burger said this was the third incident at Glebelands, near Durban, in less than a week.

 “At around 10pm near Block M on 26 July a taxi belonging to a former Block R peace committee leader was shot at and badly damaged. The vehicle was parked at the time and luckily no one was inside. The preceding night security guards at the new construction site below Blocks H – K were reportedly tied up and valuable equipment stolen.”

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Burger said street lighting had not been working at Glebelands for more than three weeks, and complaints to hostel administration continued to elicit no response despite the recent upsurge in crime, and now, a murder.

“The eThekwini Municipality’s failure to provide street lighting – the most basic of security measures – to residents constitutes negligence and the willful endangerment of life of property.”

“It also exposes the costly year-on-year roll out of hostel ‘security measures’ as nothing but an opportunity to disperse the public purse among politically connected contractors. The municipality must be held liable for all recent incidents.”

Burger said it would be disingenuous for authorities to claim, as they had previously, that the most recent murder did not happen at Glebelands, Chiefs Tavern being mere metres from the nearest hostel block, or that the lack of lighting was not a contributing factor.

“It does not take a rocket scientist to work out that guns can be moved and suspects hide more easily from police under cover of darkness.”

“This is not the first time the municipality’s failure to maintain adequate lighting has contributed to hostel dweller’s deaths and was included among remedial actions required by the Public Protector in her report on Glebelands a year ago. It is shameful that this once respected institution is failing in its oversight capacity to monitor implementation of its own recommendations and hold the delinquent state accountable. Glebelands still remains in darkness.”

South African Police Services spokesperson Thulani Zwane said police had received a report of a murder where a 26-year-old man was shot dead at a tavern in Reunion.

“It is alleged that the victim and suspect were consuming alcohol at the tavern when they got into an argument.”

Zwane said according to patrons at the tavern, it was alleged that both men went outside and continued with the argument.

“Patrons then heard a gunshot and found the victim dead. The suspect had allegedly fled the scene. The suspect is known and is expected to be arrested soon.”

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

-ANA

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Crime

Russia dismisses Islamic State falsely claim for deadly explosion

Published

on

The city of Magnitogorsk suffered a deadly blast that left 39 people dead on December and Russian investigators on Friday dismissed an Islamic State claim taking credit for the deadly apartment building explosion.



Source confirmed that the Islamic State (IS) made the claim on local newspaper on Thursday evening, saying it was behind the explosion in the city of Magnitogorsk on Dec. 31 that triggered the partial collapse of a 10-storey apartment building killing 39 and injuring dozens duo the militant group did not provide any proof to back its claim of responsibility.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Svetlana Petrenko, a spokeswoman for the Russia’s Investigative Committee said the claim should not be trusted and their primary theory was that a gas leak was to blame, also adding that no traces of explosive or explosive devices had been found at the scene.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

President Vladimir Putin flew to the scene of the tragedy some 1,700 km (1,050 miles) east of Moscow on Dec. 31 and has since ordered all of the affected building’s residents to be rehoused.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Crime

Fatal explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul

Published

on

Huge explosion has rocked the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing at least five people and wounding more than 120, the country’s health ministry said.



The Taliban claimed responsibility for blast near the Green Village compound, which houses several international companies and charities, in eastern Kabul.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish confirmed the incident stating that three military personnel were among the dead but failed to specify what nationality they were.

Image result for Fatal blast rocks Afghan capital Kabul

India’s foreign ministry also express dismay on the fatal explosion that leaves One Indian national killed.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Afghanistan’s Public Health Ministry Spokesperson Wahidullah Mayar has laud the different hospitals in the city for there quick response in treating the civilians involved in the fatal blast.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved