page contents
Connect with us

Crime

Zimbabwe: Disposition of Grace Mugabe to South African court

Published

on

GRACE.jpg

Getting former Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe to appear before a South African court will be a difficult, if not impossible, feat.

Yesterday the South Gauteng High Court found that the decision to grant Mugabe diplomatic immunity was “inconsistent with the constitution”. Judge Bashier Vally set aside the decision by former international relations and cooperation minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane.



Mugabe was granted diplomatic immunity after she allegedly assaulted South African model Gabriella Engels in a hotel room last year.

Engels registered a case with the police but the state granted Mugabe immunity, saying it was imperative to maintain good intergovernmental relations in the region, and in particular between South Africa and Zimbabwe.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

But Institute for Security Studies’ international criminal law expert Allan Ngari says this may be only the first step in a long, difficult battle to have Mugabe prosecuted.

Ngari said an arrest warrant would have to be issued first.

“Ideally, the NPA would need to get the arrest warrant, but it is possible for civil society to seek the same. As to the implementation of the warrant, it will become very difficult because of diplomatic relations between South Africa and Zimbabwe. The two governments will have to deal with it. I don’t see the probability of an arrest warrant effected successfully being too high,” he said.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Crime

Durban Court Convicts Nine for public violence in South Africa.

Published

on

Following the chaotic scenes that occurred after the Nedbank Cup semi-final at Moses Mabhida Stadium in April, South African Police Services (SAPS) have confirmed that nine people have been convicted of public violence.



Kaizer Chiefs were knocked out of the competition after losing 2-0 to eventual champions Free State Stars, which prompted scores of angry fans to storm the pitch, causing damage worth R2.6 million.

The SAPS issued out a statement on Thursday, revealing that nine of the 11 suspects who appeared in the Durban Regional Court in connection with the incident were successfully convicted.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

The incident left 18 people injured, with six admitted to hospital, and the match result prompted Steve Komphela – who coached Kaizer Chiefs at the time – to resign from his post after a tumultuous tenure where the club failed to secure silverware in three years.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The club was fined by the PSL, and was forced to stage two home matches at the venue – against Polokwane City and Chippa United -behind closed doors.

Should a similar incident occur in the next 24 months, Amakhosi will have to play another home fixture without any crowd support, according to PSL sanction.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

-TheSouthAfrican.

Continue Reading

Crime

Nigerian: Governor Ganduje wants $8.2m for damages over bribe videos.

Published

on

A Nigerian governor Abdullahi Ganduje has sued an online portal and its publisher over viral videos that shows him purportedly receiving dollar bribes from contractors in the state.

According to the portal in question, Governor of north-central Kano State, Ganduje through his lawyers filed the suit at a High Court.



The suit filed is among other, seeking the court to restrain the portal and its publisher, Jafar Jafar, from further publishing what he called “defamatory doctored video clips.”

IMG-20180912-WA0030

The governor also wants the court to order payment of 3 billion naira ($8.2m) as damages for defamation of character. He also wants the court to order reporters to publish a public apology and syndicate same through other online platforms with global accessibility.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Ganduje, a former deputy governor of Kano was elected for the first of two-terms in 2015. He is currently contesting for a final term when elections are next held in early 2019.

He has appeared in several video clips circulated by the Daily Nigerian receiving bribe, allegedly amounting to about $5million from contractors in the state. The portal quotes contractors as saying Ganduje personally receives from 15 to 25 percent kickbacks for every project executed in the state.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved