page contents
Connect with us

News

Trump maps out plans to withdraw U.S troops from Africa

Published

on

U.S. President Donald Trump, right, walks with Chinese President Xi Jinping during a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the people in Beijing, Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017. (AP Photo/Andy Wong)

The United States military is looking to withdraw hundreds of its troops from Africa as Washington shifts its resources towards tackling threats from China and Russia.

U.S. defense officials said the troop cuts would involve scaling back missions in Central and Western Africa where the focus has been on training local troops to tackle Islamist militant groups.



Leader of the United States Africa Command, General Thomas Waldhauser, told newsmen the draw down would start in countries such as Cameroon.

“We’re not walking away,” Waldhauser said, adding that the U.S. would “reserve the right to unilaterally return” if needed to protect American interests.

Last October, four American soldiers were among those killed when their convoy was attacked by militants in Niger near the border with Mali. A Pentagon report outlined flaws in the operation, including command mistakes and insufficient training. A U.S. adviser was killed in Somalia in June.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

There are more than 7,300 Special Operations troops around the world, many targeting terrorists in Yemen, Libya and Somalia. About 1,200 of those troops are on missions in Africa.

Earlier this year, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis revealed a shift in Washington policy, as he described how “threats have changed. There is increasing global volatility and uncertainty with challenges from Russia and China coming to the fore,” he said, according to the U.S. Department of Defense website.

Carter Ham, a retired general who once led the Africa Command, agreed with this move but told journalists: “My concern in Africa is that with an already very modest presence and level of engagement, reducing that will lessen the likelihood for good outcomes across the continent.”

Pentagon spokesperson Major Sheryll Klinkel told CNN that no decisions or changes had yet been made yet to the forces operating in Africa.

“The Department consistently reviews plans, operations and military investments across the globe to develop the best options that address the constantly evolving threat to US national interests,” she said.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

-NEWSWEEK

Finance

Expect sack over N30,000 minimum wage -Governors warns

Published

on

By

Nigerian governors have rejected the proposed increase of N30,000 minimum wage,  unless the organised labour wants its members to be sacked.



Adding that, the 36 States rejected it because they will run bankrupt if they accept to pay the workers that amount. 

On Wednesday, The chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ summon its members on emergency meeting in Abuja calling on the Federal Government to agree to their demand by reviewing the national revenue allocation formula.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

The chairman, Alhaji Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara State, told the newsmen that a new committee would be raised to meet with President over this issue.

Image result for nigeria labour union images

The committee members who are nominated to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari includes governor of Enugu,Bauchi,Akwa Ibom,Plateau,Kebbi,Lagos and Kaduna.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Yari said, he hopes the committees engagement with  President will make everybody happy if an agreement is reached.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police arrests 19 year old in possession of human parts.

Published

on

A 19-year-old man, Sunday Owo, was on Thursday apprehended with fresh human parts at a healing home in Awka, Anambra State.

Owo was caught with genital organs, fingers and blood-filled bottle of a child suspected to have been killed by the man.



The suspect, who was apprehended at the instance of the Proprietor of the healing home, Mrs Ifeanyichukwu Ilonzo, told reporters that he hailed from Ohaukwu in Ebonyi.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

He said he was asked by one Blessing to get the human parts and bring them to a natural healing home in Awka for money ritual.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

He said that he paid Blessing N50, 000 for connecting him to the healing home.

Owo confessed that the victim whose parts he had was about four years and that he killed him in a stream in his town and threw the head and other parts into the stream.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved