page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigeria: SERAP sues NYSC boss over Adeosun’s exemption certificate

Published

on

KEMI-ADEOSUN-1

An anti-corruption group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has sued the National Youth Service Corps and its Director General, Brig. Gen. Sule Kazaure, over the Corps’ failure to respond to the allegation that the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, forged an NYSC Exemption Certificate.

In a lawsuit marked FHC/L/CS/1369/18, filed before the Federal High Court in Lagos, SERAP is seeking an order of mandamus against the NYSC and its DG.

The group is urging the court to declare that Kazaure and the NYSC’s failure to provide information and relevant documents on Adeosun’s true status was unlawful and amounted to a breach of the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2011.

The group is praying the court to compel the NYSC to immediately supply it with “specific documents and information on Mrs. Kemi Adeosun’s application for the National Youth Service Corps’ Exemption Certificate and to publish widely, including on a dedicated and on the NYSC website, any such information.”

The suit followed allegation that Adeosun, who studied abroad, failed to observe the mandatory one-year national youth service and resorted to forging an NYSC Exemption Certificate to secure her current job and previous ones upon returning to Nigeria.

SERAP had last week given the NYSC a seven-day ultimatum to clear the air on the allegation, which had been in the public domain for about a month without a word from the minister herself.

In the suit filed through its lawyer, Ms Bamisope Adeyanju, SERAP contended that “suspicions of obtaining unauthorised certificate involving a senior member of the government, if not urgently and satisfactorily addressed, would weaken public trust in the government’s oft-expressed commitment to transparency and accountability.”

The court has yet to fix a date for the hearing of the suit which was filed on Tuesday.‎

Motherland News

PM Abiy reiterates Ethiopia’s decision over latest clampdown.

Published

on

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has finally spoken on ongoing anti-corruption and rights abuse clampdown stating that there was not going to be any backing down let alone retreat.

A statement from the Abiy’s office issued in Amharic tasked citizens to rally behind the development as a means of ridding the country of lawlessness and criminal elements.

State-affiliated FBC reported that the statement titled, ‘Let’s Fight (the) Cancer,’ said the government was bent on bringing people behind injustices to book.



The statement said the underlying objective of recent arrests was to get rid of Ethiopia criminals. “… criminals do not care about ethnicity, country, or morality; they only care for themselves.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“The key to justice is to create a system for innocent citizens to live in freedom and dignity while criminals are held accountable and punished in accordance with the law,” the statement read in part.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Since early this week, authorities have announced the arrest of over sixty former military and intelligence officials arrested in connection with rights abuse in prisons and gross corruption in the military run business conglomerate, Metals and Engineering Corporation, MetEC.

A former head of MetEC, Kinfe Dagnew; and a former intelligence chiefs, Tekleberhan Woldearegay and Yared Zerihun have all been detained and put before courts in the capital, Addis Ababa.

Head of security at the state monopoly, Ethio Telecom, Gudeta Olana, has also been arrested as has head of the entity and brother of ex-MetEC boss, Essayas Dagnew.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

New Zealand denies refusing refugees with holiday visas entry.

Published

on

New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, on Friday, rejected allegations that the country’s government was blocking refugees who wished to travel into the country from Nauru on visitor visas.

Nauru’s president, Baron Waqa, also claimed in an interview with Australian media that he had also personally brokered a deal for New Zealand to accept 80 refugees currently located on the island.



“It’s incorrect to say that there is some kind of agreement for 80 specific individuals to take residence or visit,’’ Ardern told media at the East Asia Summit in Singapore.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

“The request did not ask about whether refugees could visit New Zealand on holiday visas,’’ he added.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The country assessed all applications for visitor visas on a case-by-case basis. This applies regardless of a person’s country of origin or nationality.

The country is under pressure to transfer the remaining 30 children from the island.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved