page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Uganda: Police attack on protesters leaves one dead, 5 injured

Published

on

One person died and five others were wounded in Uganda on Sunday, police said, as security forces used tear gas and live bullets to disperse a demonstration against the beating of arrested lawmakers in response to the stoning of a presidential convoy.

Police spokesman Emilian Kayima said a policeman trying to quell the unrest in Mityana, a town about 50 km (30 miles) west of the capital Kampala, had fired at a minibus.

“One policeman fired bullets into a moving taxi (minibus) with passengers, injuring six people. Unfortunately one of them died,” Kayima said.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“We are looking for the policeman who committed this act, which is very irresponsible. He will be arrested and will be subjected to due process.”

On Aug. 13, supporters of an independent candidate participating in a parliamentary by-election stoned a motorcade carrying the veteran president, Yoweri Museveni, as he was leaving the town of Arua after campaigning for a ruling party candidate.

Five members of parliament and dozens of other people were detained shortly afterwards on suspicion of taking part in the assault.

Two of the MPs were badly beaten up during their arrest, according to politicians and relatives who have visited them.

One of them is Francis Zaake, whose constituency includes Mityana. Images of Zaake posted on social media showed him lying on a bed, eyes closed, with wounds on his palm, a swollen face and a cut ear. Politicians who have seen him in hospital in Kampala have said he is on life support.

On Thursday, four of the detained MPs and dozens of others were charged with treason and unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition for their alleged role in stoning the convoy.

Museveni has been in power since 1986. His critics say he is set to rule for life after parliament last year scrapped an age cap on presidential candidates.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Motherland News

Nigerian President Buhari Warns Ballot box snatchers to value their lives

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections to desist or pay with his or her life if caught.



President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Caucus meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said that such act would be the last unlawful act the person will be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the governors of Imo, Rochas Okorocha and Ogun, Ibikunle Amosun were conspicuously absent at the meeting.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Buhari who said he is confident that he has garnered enough supporters having gone round the country to campaign, urged party members to reassure their constituents to come out and vote on the rescheduled dates.

While urging party agents to watch out for the party interests at the polling units the president said that he has directed security agencies to identify hot spots and be ready to move should they suspect any attempts to cause problems by thugs across the country irrespective of party affiliations.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

– Vanguard

Continue Reading

Health & Lifestyle

DR Congo blame Unending Ebola Outbreak on Violence , Community Mistrust.

Published

on

DR Congo Ministry of Health spokesperson Jessica Ilunga has declared that violence and community mistrust have continued to hamper all efforts to control and end the fresh Ebola outbreak, which started Aug. 1.



Though according to the World Health Organization the number of new Ebola cases has dropped slightly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as there are 33% fewer cases to date in February compared with the same time period in December per STAT’s Helen Branswell, but some experts warn Axios that there remain signs that this outbreak is far from over.

Meanwhile, some experts warn that, that doesn’t mean the world’s second-largest Ebola outbreak on record is yet under control, and in fact it could simply be moving to new areas of the sprawling country.

 IMG-20180912-WA0030

Johns Hopkins’ public health expert Jennifer Nuzzo maintains there are several reasons people should continue to view this outbreak as a cause for concern.

However, Nuzzo said Congo needs more than money from the international community and the U.S. in particular. Safety concerns have largely caused the CDC to limit its Ebola experts to the capital city of Kinshasa, where some have returned after being evacuated during an uptick in election-related violence, Nuzzo added that Now is the time for the U.S. to send them into the field.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved