page contents
Connect with us

News

Puerto Rico’s Hurricane Maria death toll rises from 64 to 2,975

Published

on

650e9702f3a0eb12b110019e196c337aa1b13fc754f0a70ce37fa7867547b9fd_4106832

The death toll of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico has jumped from 64 to nearly 3,000 after an official report was released.

Governor Ricardo Rossello raised the toll to 2,975 after a government-commissioned study found deaths from the storm were severely undercounted.



He has also said he will create a commission to implement the recommendations in the new report, and create a registry of those expected to be most vulnerable in a future storm, such as the elderly or bedridden.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The new estimate of 2,975, 46 times more than the original figure, was made by researchers with the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University.

Maria devastated the island in September 2017, knocking out the entire electrical grid.

The government’s previous estimate had been 1,400 more deaths than normal in the three months after the storm.

Dean of the Milken Institute School, Lynn Goldman, said: “We are hopeful that the government will accept this as an official death toll.

“A lesson from this is that efforts for assistance and recovery need to focus as much as possible on lower-income areas, on people who are older, who are more vulnerable.”

According to researchers, part of the reason the toll had been so low is that doctors were not trained in how to classify deaths as a result of a disaster.

a5896b5248c366afe0cce59c6220500b6d199e8cc3e7abb055fb71f33b4503fa_4106811

The number of deaths between September 2017 and February 2018 was 22% higher than the same period in the year before.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

David Luiz declares Chelsea not out of title race despite Everton draw

Published

on

By

veteran Chelsea defender the stressed that they are going to fight until the end.



he says that they did everything to try to win. something it’s possible, sometimes it’s not, but we’re still there, trying to be at the top of the table so we’re going to fight until the end of the season.

It was really a hard test for the team and credit to the visitors effort’ there approach was good.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

the veteran center back also say that they controlled the game, The marking from Everton was amazing. They blocked the space in the middle so we didn’t have a lot of combinations in the middle and from the sides, and in the end they were a bit lucky because we tried to score but didn’t score. […] Most of the teams now come here with two lines and trying to lock us up so it’s up to us to find the way to score.”

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

We can do wonders with our game-plan and he praised the Chelsea boss for the atmosphere he brought to Chelsea.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Michael B. Jordan Makes GQ’s 2018 Men of the Year List

Published

on

GQ revealed its 2018 Men of the Year winners on Monday and named the 31-year-old actor its Leader of the Year. 



It’s certainly been an exciting time for Jordan. Not only did he have a lead role in the box-office hit Black Panther, but he also starred in Creed II, which hits theaters this month. In addition, he’s set to appear in the 2020 film Just Mercy and balances it all while running his own production company, Outlier Society Productions. 

“I want to be worldwide,” the star told the magazine, listing off Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprioand Will Smith as some of his inspirations.

 Granted, this doesn’t leave him with a lot of time to devote to his personal life, especially dating. 

“My career is awesome. It is going great. There’s other places in my life that I’m f–king lacking at. I’m very mature and advanced in a lot of areas of life. Dating may not be one of ’em,” he said. “My personal life is not. I don’t really know what dating is.” 

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Instead, Jordan is more focused on “trying to work on myself and build this empire.”

ordan has been in the biz since an early age. As fans will recall, he landed the role of Wallace on The Wire at age 14. He then acted in a number of TV shows, including All My Children, The AssistantsFriday Night Lights and Parenthood. Still auditioning was never easy, especially when he was often going up against his friends for the same role.“You feel like you’re pitted against each other, in hindsight,” he said. “I was like, ‘Damn! Everybody should be able to, like, work and grow and eat together. We’re not. Well, then, I guess there’s not enough roles.”

As result, he knew there was only one solution.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“I guess the only logical thing to do is to create more roles,” he said.

As Hollywood continues to become more diverse and underrepresented stories continue to be told, Jordan continues to aspire for greatness.

“I remember when it used to be like, ‘He’s the next Will Smith,'” he told the publication. “Now I’m the example of the next—they’re looking for the next me.”

Jordan isn’t GQ’s only cover star this year. The magazine also named Jonah Hill Director of the Year and Henry Golding Star of the Year. Serena Williams was also named Champion of the Year. 
TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved