Connect with us

Motherland News

Uganda: Police attack on protesters leaves one dead, 5 injured

Published

on

One person died and five others were wounded in Uganda on Sunday, police said, as security forces used tear gas and live bullets to disperse a demonstration against the beating of arrested lawmakers in response to the stoning of a presidential convoy.

Police spokesman Emilian Kayima said a policeman trying to quell the unrest in Mityana, a town about 50 km (30 miles) west of the capital Kampala, had fired at a minibus.

“One policeman fired bullets into a moving taxi (minibus) with passengers, injuring six people. Unfortunately one of them died,” Kayima said.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“We are looking for the policeman who committed this act, which is very irresponsible. He will be arrested and will be subjected to due process.”

On Aug. 13, supporters of an independent candidate participating in a parliamentary by-election stoned a motorcade carrying the veteran president, Yoweri Museveni, as he was leaving the town of Arua after campaigning for a ruling party candidate.

Five members of parliament and dozens of other people were detained shortly afterwards on suspicion of taking part in the assault.

Two of the MPs were badly beaten up during their arrest, according to politicians and relatives who have visited them.

One of them is Francis Zaake, whose constituency includes Mityana. Images of Zaake posted on social media showed him lying on a bed, eyes closed, with wounds on his palm, a swollen face and a cut ear. Politicians who have seen him in hospital in Kampala have said he is on life support.

On Thursday, four of the detained MPs and dozens of others were charged with treason and unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition for their alleged role in stoning the convoy.

Museveni has been in power since 1986. His critics say he is set to rule for life after parliament last year scrapped an age cap on presidential candidates.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Crime

Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe

Published

on

Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.

The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).

The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.

According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.

It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.

“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.

“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”

The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival

Published

on

Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.

Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.

But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.

“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.

The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.

Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.

The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.

That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.

Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.

“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.

He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.

“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved