page contents
Connect with us

Manly

Bobi Wine reveals Ugandan soldiers assault him in detention

Published

on

Ugandan soldiers beat up pop star-turned-lawmaker Bobi Wine and squeezed his genitals until he passed out, he charged on Monday, three days after he departed for the US for medical care for the injuries he allegedly sustained while in detention.

Soldiers “violated me as if they were beasts,” said Wine, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, in his first public statement since his arrest on August 14 for his alleged role in an incident in which the president’s motorcade was pelted with stones.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“They wrapped me in a thick piece of cloth and bundled me into a vehicle,” he said. “Those guys did to me unspeakable things in that vehicle! They pulled my manhood and squeezed my testicles while punching me with objects I didn’t see.”

A doctor later told him that one of his “kidneys … had been damaged during the assault.”

Ssentamu’s driver was killed in the violence the followed the alleged attack on the president’s convoy, allegedly by government forces. Ssentamu said he believes he survived an assassination attempt.

The allegations of torture will increase pressure on the government to arrest the alleged perpetrators. Rights groups and the speaker of Uganda’s parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, have urged President Yoweri Museveni to arrest the suspects and present them in court.

Museveni, who has accused Ssentamu and other opposition politicians of luring young people into rioting, has recently told lawmakers with the ruling party that Ssentamu and his co-accused had resisted arrest and even assaulted some officers, forcing security personnel to use force, according to multiple accounts in the local media.

The military has denied the allegations of torture.

According to Ssentamu, after he regained consciousness, two soldiers who came to see him “were visibly pleased to see that I was still alive. They came close to me. One of them apologised in tears about what had happened.”

His feet and hands had been tied together and he bled from the nose and ears, he said.

Ssentamu and over 30 others, including four other lawmakers, have been charged with treason over their roles in the attack on the president’s convoy, heightening concerns about a crackdown on the opposition in this East African nation.

One of those lawmakers, Francis Zaake, has also been hospitalized with serious injuries allegedly sustained at the hands of security forces during detention. He is due to travel to India to receive specialized care.

In Uganda the maximum penalty for treason is death.

Their lawyers say the treason charge is false.

Ssentamu has emerged as a powerful opposition voice among youths frustrated by Museveni, especially after the constitution was changed last year to remove an age limit on the presidency. The singer won a parliament seat last year without the backing of a political party.

His supporters, citing his success in helping opposition candidates to win elections across the country, are urging him to run for president in 2021.

His arrest sparked protests in Kampala and elsewhere demanding his release, with scores of people detained, and a social media campaign to #FreeBobiWine was launched.

Dozens of global musicians including Chris Martin, Angelique Kidjo and Brian Eno issued an open letter condemning the treatment of Ssentamu, who in his first public appearance after his arrest had to walk with support and appeared to cry.

Museveni, a US regional security ally who took power by force in 1986, has been elected five times. Although he has campaigned on a record of establishing stability, some worry those gains are being eroded the longer he stays in power.

Museveni is now able to seek re-election in 2021 because parliament passed legislation last year removing a clause in the constitution that had prevented anyone over 75 from holding the presidency. Ssentamu publicly opposed that decision.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Manly

EFF demands the sacking of South Africa’s finance minister Nene.

Published

on

South Africa’s political players are headed for a collision course over the fate of the finance minister, who the Treasury on Tuesday said is traveling to Indonesia for an International Monetary Fund (IMF) meeting.



Pressure has been piling on finance minister Nhlanhla Nene to resign, following his disclosure to the state-capture inquiry commission, that he had met the Gupta brothers between 2010 and 2013.

The Business Day on Monday reported that Nene had asked president Cyril Ramaphosa to relieve him of his duties as finance minister.

Ramaphosa’s office responded and said they were not aware of Nene’s request.

And on Tuesday, Treasury spokesman Jabulani Sikhakhane said the finance minister was expected to arrive in Indonesia on Wednesday.

Nene is also expected to read the mid-term budget later this month.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The news that Nene is continuing with his duties is likely to anger opposition supporters including the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), whose leader, Julius Malema on Monday asked Ramaphosa to sack Nene.

In a written letter to Ramaphosa, Malema argued that the country, whose economy is in recession, had very serious challenges that needed a credible finance minister to address them.

‘‘Public servants at all spheres and levels of government will have no obligation to responsibly manage state fiscal resources under a compromised minister of finance,’‘ Malema said.

He then added that that Nene can no longer inspire much needed confidence to revive the economy.

‘‘The Medium-Term Budget Policy Statement (MTBPS)‚ which is supposed to be a statement to build confidence amongst all important economic role players‚ cannot‚ and should not‚ be delivered by a minister who was part of the Gupta criminal syndicate.”

For the EFF, Nene’s position as finance minister is no longer tenable and they are determined to win what they are now calling a battle.

Malema had threatened on Sunday that streets protests might be organised to demand for the removal of Nene as finance minister.

The Gupta brothers are accused of using their friendship with former president Jacob Zuma to influence government decisions including unfairly winning state contrcats.

Both Zuma and the Guptas have denied any wrongdoing.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Manly

South Africa: Ex-minister reveals Zuma’s Gupta deals.

Published

on

South Africa’s Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene said on Wednesday he was fired by former president Jacob Zuma for refusing to approve contracts that would financially benefit the Gupta family, friends of Zuma accused of corruption.



Nene, who was giving testimony at a judicial inquiry into influence-peddling, said the main reason he was he was sacked was for rejecting a proposed plan to build a fleet of nuclear power plants. The project could have cost up to $100 billion.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Zuma and the Gupta family deny allegations they colluded to inappropriately divert state funds.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved