Connect with us

Motherland News

Another missionary shot dead in Cameroon clash within a Month

Published

on

A missionary, Fr Cosmas Omboto Ondari has been shot dead in Cameroon during the second killing of its kind in less than one month.



Fr Ondari was reported standing outside his church in the South West region on Wednesday when he came under fire.

In a statement released on Facebook, local Catholic leaders described the shooting as a “heinous crime”. They said government forces were to blame.

The Diocese of Mamfe said: “While we mourn with the Mill Hill family and the national family of Fr Ondari, we trust that he died doing what he has offered his life for.

“He was serving humanity far away from home and family, but he was one with the people of Kembong who loved him so well and whom he loved so much.”

IMG-20180912-WA0030

Media reports suggest Fr Ondari – who belonged to the Mill Hill Missionaries – may have been caught in cross-fire between soldiers and armed separatists.

The 33-year-old Kenyan national had been serving as an assistant parish priest at St Martin of Tours in the village of Kembong.

Last month, it was reported how an American missionary working in Cameroon was shot in the head and killed in front of his family.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Fighting between English-speaking separatists and government forces in Cameroon’s South West and North West regions has intensified since 2016. Hundreds of civilians have died.

Having long-claimed discrimination under a national political system dominated by French-speakers, separatists want Anglophone areas to become an independent nation – Ambazonia.

Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced by the violence.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHT

Crime

Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe

Published

on

Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.

The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).

The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.

According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.

It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.

“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.

“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”

The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival

Published

on

Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.

Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.

But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.

“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.

The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.

Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.

The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.

That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.

Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.

“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.

He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.

“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved