Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigeria: 2,045 PVCs Stolen In A’Ibom sttate

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has accused some desperate politicians of stealing 2,045 Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) from its office in Okobo local government area of Akwa Ibom State.



 The office was attacked last month by some youths protesting the outcome of the primaries conducted by the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the area.

Briefing newsmen yesterday in Uyo, the state capital, INEC national commissioner supervising Akwa Ibom, Delta and Cross River States, Dr. Mohammed Mustapha Lecky, said that the commission was working with security agencies to track down the suspects with a view to prosecuting them.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

 He said: “The PVCs were stolen in Okobo local government area; they were 2,045 PVCs. We have visited the council and we found a lot of security lapses around the local government office.

“I think it was a mob action which was a consequence of the primary elections that were taking place at that time and I want to assure you that the police are looking into the matter. These things (PVCs) were stolen from where we kept them for safety.

“Like I have said what they (hoodlums) have done is a nullity because we have a list of everybody; we have their names, we have their pin numbers and we have their pictures on the voter register. It is a matter of reproducing the PVCs and making them available.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

He condemned politicians for starting campaigns before November 18, 2018 fixed by the commission, saying that they have defied INEC’s regulations.

 INEC resident electoral commissioner in Akwa Ibom, Mr. Mike Igini, said that he would ensure that credible and transparent elections were conducted in the state.

 The police commissioner Mr. John Abang, said that every security measures would be taken to ensure that the outcome of the polls meet international best practices and acceptable to all contenders.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Crime

Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe

Published

on

Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.

The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).

The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.

According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.

It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.

“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.

“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”

The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival

Published

on

Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.

Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.

But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.

“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.

The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.

Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.

The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.

That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.

Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.

“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.

He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.

“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved