Connect with us

News

Jonathan’s ex-aide queries Presidential Results from Borno, Yobe.

Published

on

Reno Omokri, former-aide to ex president Goodluck Jonathan has queried presidential results from Borno and Yobe states.

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Monday declared President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress winner of Borno State.

In Yobe State, Buhari polled 497,914, while Atiku scored 50,763.



In Borno state, Buhari is said to be defeating his closest rival, Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with a wide margin in the 11 LGs.

Reacting, Omokri took to his Twitter page describing presidential results from both states as ‘miracle’ despite bombings and attacks in the states.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

According to him: “The greatest miracle of the 21st Century is how Borno and Yobe, the 2 Nigerian states ravaged by war, also became the states with the highest voter turnout in Nigeria.

“Apparently, it is safer to vote in Borno and Yobe than it is to live and work there.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“There are millions of IDPs in Borno and Yobe dislocated from their PUs. There are towns in both states that even armed soldiers fear to enter. Tens of thousands of citizens fled to Cameroon. Yet Borno and Yobe registered the highest voter turnout in Nigeria.”

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS FOR JUST $1 CLICK HERE

24 Hours Across Africa

Cameroon crisis: Ambazonia separatists get life sentences

Published

on

A leader of Cameroon’s separatist movement, Sisiku Ayuk Tabe, and nine of his followers have been given life sentences by a military court in the capital, Yaoundé.

They were convicted of rebellion, among other charges.

Their lawyers accused the judge of bias and withdrew from the proceedings.

The English-speaking separatists argue they are marginalised by the bureaucracy and school system in the majority French-speaking country.

The defendants had been arrested in Nigeria in January 2018 and deported back to Cameroon.

The court session on the verdicts, which started on Monday, went on until 05:30 (04:30 GMT) local time Tuesday morning, reports the BBC’s Leocadio Bongben.

By that time the defence lawyers had already withdrawn from the proceedings but continued to stay in the court as spectators.

Defence barrister Joseph Fru said there were irregularities in the proceedings, including the judge’s biases, but the military court rejected his evidence.

The long list of charges included rebellion, complicity in terrorism, financing terrorism, revolution, insurrection, hostility against the state, propagation of fake news and lack of identification.

The court also ordered the 10 to pay a fine of 250bn CFA francs ($422m; £359m) to the government for civil damages and 12bn CFA francs for court costs.

What’s happening in Cameroon?

Among the 10 who were convicted was Sisiku Ayuk Tabe, the leader of the so-called Governing Council of Ambazonia – the name separatists have given to Cameroon’s Anglophone North-West and South-West regions.

Cameroon’s English-speakers say they have been marginalised for decades by the central government and the French-speaking majority.

The current crisis started in 2016 when lawyers and teachers went on strike over the use of French in courts and schools.

In October 2017, activists declared autonomy over the two English-speaking regions – a move rejected by Cameroon’s President Paul Biya.

Some took up arms in 2017 and the crisis has forced more than 500,000 people from their homes.

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Saudi Arabia implements end to travel restrictions for Saudi women: agency

Published

on

Reuters – Saudi Arabia has begun implementing previously announced changes that allow adult women to travel without permission and to exercise more control over family matters, state news agency SPA reported on Tuesday.

“The passports and civil status departments and their branches in all regions of the kingdom have started to implement the amendments stipulated in the royal decree,” the report said, citing an interior ministry source.

Reporting by Stephen Kalin; Editing by Gareth Jones

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved