page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Rwanda Raise Diplomatic tension along its borders with Uganda

Published

on

Rwanda has further raised already strained diplomatic tensions between Rwanda and Uganda by deploying heavily armed personnel along its border lines with Uganda. The armed personnel are visible in the hills at Mukaniga, Byumba and Buganza. Also at Chanika in Kisoro district.



Uganda’s Internal Security Organization (ISO) officials and locals confirmed the presence of the heavily armed Rwanda Defence Force soldiers along the borders. Although ISO officials said, Uganda doesn’t see a reason yet to also deploy armed personnel, Rwanda’s deployment has aroused tensions among the locals near the borders.

Rwanda and Uganda once fought a deadly battle on foreign soil in Kisangani in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in June 2000. The number of casualties was in excess of 1,000, with Uganda registering the biggest deaths.

Rwanda’s deployment signals an escalation of the diplomatic hostility between the two countries which has been ongoing for the last two years. Since Wednesday last week, Rwanda blocked Ugandan trucks and buses from crossing into or out of Rwanda. Initially, the official reason given, was that Rwanda was upgrading its one stop border post at Gatuna border and advised drivers to use Chanika border post as an alternative.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

However this border post too was blocked. Indeed, moments later, Rwandan minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Richard Sezibera, tweeted that Rwandans are strongly advised not to travel to Uganda due to ongoing arrests, harassment, and torture. Rwandan authorities went on to block Rwandan nationals including students from crossing into Uganda although some of them could be seen using the unmanned entry points. Uganda government spokesperson Ofwono Opondo on Saturday said that strangely, no Rwandan national had flown to Entebbe airport from Rwanda since Wednesday which was indicative that perhaps Rwandans have been blocked from from flying into Uganda.

Bernard Ssengendo, one of the Ugandan truck drivers still stuck in Rwanda, says that although Ugandan drivers are now allowed to make movements during daytime and return to the Ugandan side of the border for meals, they are ordered to lock themselves inside their trucks throughout the night by the Rwandan police.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Jamil Sebo, another truck driver found at Katuna says that he was only allowed to cross over to the Ugandan side to buy medicine. He says Rwanda police has given them no reasons warranting him to lock himself in the truck.

“They don’t tell you anything. Since last week they don’t allow us to drive out of Rwanda although for now, people are allowed to move into Uganda for meals and medicine. And when night falls, they tell you to lock yourself inside the truck. They don’t give any reasons.” said Sebo.

Uganda prime minister, Dr Ruhakana Rugunda on Friday said that the government, through the ministry of Foreign Affairs is handling the matter.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE

-The Observer

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Motherland News

CAF Sidelines Nigerian Centre Referees for 2019 AFCON

Published

on

Out of the Twenty-seven centre referees penciled down for the 2019 African Cup of Nations, countries like Burundi, Mali, Zambia and Sudan are represented on the list, but no Nigerian referee was selected for the big occasions.

However, only one assistant referee from Nigeria named Baba Adel was listed among the twenty-nine assistant referees selected by the African Football Governing Body.

The competition will be held from 21 June to 19 July 2019, as per the decision of the CAF Executive Committee on 20 July 2017.

Continue Reading

Motherland News

Nigerian Govt Seeks U.S.$1 Billion Loan for Power Sector Again.

Published

on

Apart from the accumulation of 2.74 trillion Naira the Nigerian government under the watch of President Olusegun Obasanjo, President Umar Yaradua and Goodluck Jonathan have differently spent on the development of the Power sector, Federal government have commenced discussion with the World Bank with the hope of taking a $1 billion loan.

The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed made this disclosure at the press briefing marking the end of the 2019 Spring Meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, IMF, in Washington DC, USA, yesterday.

Meanwhile, The Federal Government have allegedly spent another 900 billion Naira within the last four years through the ministry of Power and Steel, under the watch of Babatunde Fashola.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved