Connect with us

24 Hours Across Africa

Taliba claims masterminding attack on U.S convoy in Afghanistan

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Reuters – A car bomb targeting a U.S. convoy exploded in the Afghan capital on Friday, wounding four U.S. service members and causing a number of other casualties, officials said, in the second attack in the city in two days.

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast, which came a day after the Islamic State militant group claimed a suicide attack outside a military training academy that killed at least six people.

A spokesman for U.S. Forces in Afghanistan said a car bomb hit a U.S. convoy and four service members had suffered minor injuries but gave no other details.

However, there were conflicting reports about the total number of casualties caused by the blast.

An Afghan security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said as many as nine people had been killed and six civilians wounded in the blast.

The Taliban’s main spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said in a statement the attack targeted a convoy of foreign forces, killing 10 of them and destroying two vehicles.

The explosion, which sent a plume of white smoke into the sky, occurred on the busy Jalalabad road in the city’s east, an area with several large security compounds which has seen repeated attacks over the years.

Photographs circulating on social media showed a heavily damaged white armored Land Cruiser of a type often used by international organizations, surrounded by fire fighters.

Kabul has been on high alert, with security checkpoints reinforced across the city, in recent days.

Friday’s attack, shortly before next week’s Eid holiday, came as a delegation of Taliban officials met senior Afghan politicians in Moscow for discussions about a possible peace process to end 18 years of war in Afghanistan.

The Taliban have been talking with U.S. diplomats for several months about plans to agree a withdrawal of more than 20,000 U.S. and NATO coalition troops in exchange for an agreement to prevent Afghanistan from once again being used as a base for militant attacks.


@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

 

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading
Advertisement

24 Hours Across Africa

Tottenham appoint Mourinho as New Coach

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Tottenham Hotspur had experienced a woeful start in their domestic league, the club board of directors has terminated Mauricio Pochettino four years deal.

Jose Mourinho signed a three-year contract until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Tottenham sit 14th in England’s top flight after picking up just three wins from their opening 12 games and were eliminated from the League Cup in September by fourth-tier Colchester United.

Speaking on his appointment, Mourinho said: “I am excited to be joining a club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters. The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.”

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Brazil win U17 World cup after beating Mexico

Published

on

Share With Friends:

Brazil bags another remarkable win to tally its Under-17 World Cup trophy by beating Mexico.

The host team, Brazil leaves it late to triumphed a 2-1 win at the Bezerrao stadium.

thanks to Lazaro Vinicius Marques’ 93rd-minute goal to made the difference.

Mexico – winners of the showpiece tournament in 2005 and 2011 – looked on track to add a third title to their collection when Bryan Alonso Gonzalez Olivan headed home the opener in the 66th minute.

But Brazil, playing in front of legends Ronaldo and Cafu, rallied courtesy of Kaio Jorge’s questionable penalty with six minutes of regulation time remaining.

Brazil then completed the comeback deep into stoppage time when Lazaro volleyed home a last-gasp winner.

The victory added to Brazil’s successes in 1997, 1999 and 2003 as they moved within one of Nigeria’s record of five championships.

Share With Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Oven-Hot

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved