@ Anttention Fresh,
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source.
A young boy is facing a desperate race against time to stay alive after a basketball sized tumour grew on his face.
Although the tumour is benign, doctors say it is life threatening because its size makes it difficult for Emanuel Zayas to breathe and eat.
Now surgeons in Florida are asking for public health to pay for the surgery he needs to keep him alive.
Local 10 News reports the boy and his family arrived in Miami last month from Cuba on a medical visa.
His parents had spent years in Cuba seeking a doctor that would take on the operation.
But now in just a few weeks, Emanuel Zayas will get all the help he needs at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
The news channel said for the past two years, Zayas watched a benign tumour grow from his jaw, making it difficult for him to breathe and eat.
It was a medical case that doctors in his native Cuba could do nothing about.
“As parents, we’ve kept fighting every moment,” Zayas’ mother, Melvin Vizaino, said.
The teen will undergo surgery next month at JMH to remove the 10-pound growth, a procedure that will take eight to 10 hours and requires a team of four surgeons, the news station reports.
“The length of surgery time wise has little to do with how people recover. It has to do with the blood loss,” chief surgeon Dr. Robert Marx told the station.
“We are being very careful to preserve any blood flow and tie off blood vessels that will get him to recover sooner.”
Zayas has suffered from polyostotic fibrous dysplasia since he was just two years old.
The disorder has crippled his leg, softened his skull bone and led to a pimple on his nose that has never stopped growing.
Left untreated, the tumour would most certainly fracture his neck and suffocate him, doctors told the channel.
“It’s benign, meaning it’s not a cancer. It’s not going to travel to other parts of his body, but it’s life-threatening by its very weight,” Marx said.
“His lower jaw is normal. He gets food through his mouth the best he can and squashes it down.”After next month’s surgery, the teen will need at least two more surgeries to reconstruct his jaw and replace his teeth.
The International Kids Fund program of the Jackson Health Foundation will cover the costs of surgery through donations.
“Now that we’re in Christmas and the New Year, please be generous. This requires a lot of time and a lot of fundraising,” Mariana Martinez, with IKF Wonderfund, said.
The teenager will undergo surgery on January 12, and, depending on his recovery, he’ll have reconstruction surgery later in the year.
Mother, Son arrainged for killing alleged housebreaker.
A 45-year-old woman and her 17-year-old son have been arraigned for beating an alleged housebreaker to death in Butterworth, Eastern Cape.
Police confirmed they were investigating a murder after a 23-year-old housebreaker, identified as Solomzi Gcanca, was killed on Wednesday, June 19.
SAPS spokesperson, Capt Jackson Manatha said members of the community witnessed the [mother and son] beating the young man”
The man was found dead in the street by community members on Wednesday evening at Ext 14B, Mcubakazi township, Butterworth.
“The community was so angry that they wanted the woman and her son to be evicted from where they live. But we could not do that. Our job was to arrest them,”
The community was angry about what happened to Gcanca.
“The alleged killers took matters into their own hands by beating the man for breaking into their house. What they were supposed to do was come to the police,” he added.
Both suspects were expected to appear in court on Tuesday
Nato warn Russia to refrain New Missle plan
Source: Reuters – NATO urged Russia on Tuesday to destroy a new missile before an August deadline and save a treaty that keeps land-based nuclear warheads out of Europe or face a more determined alliance response in the region.
DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
NATO defense ministers will discuss on Wednesday their next steps if Moscow keeps the missile system that the United States says would allow short-notice nuclear attacks on Europe and break the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).
“We call on Russia to take the responsible path, but we have seen no indication that Russia intends to do so,” Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told a news conference. “We will need to respond,” Stoltenberg said.
He declined to go into more details. But diplomats said defense ministers will consider more flights over Europe by U.S. warplanes capable of carrying nuclear warheads, more military training and the repositioning U.S. sea-based missiles.
The United States and its NATO allies want Russia to destroy its 9M729/SSC-8 nuclear-capable cruise missile system, which Moscow has so far refused to do. It denies any violations of the INF treaty, accusing Washington of seeking an arms race.
Without a deal, the United States has said it will withdraw from the INF treaty on Aug. 2, removing constraints on its own ability to develop nuclear-capable, medium-range missile.
The dispute has deepened a fissure in East-West ties that severely deteriorated after Russia’s seizure of Crimea and its involvement in Syria.
@ Anttention Fresh,