page contents
Connect with us

24 Hours Across Africa

Trump to end America’s IT threats.

Published

on

Source :BBC

President Donald Trump has declared a national emergency to protect US computer networks from “foreign adversaries”.

He signed an executive order which effectively bars US companies from using foreign telecoms believed to pose national security risks.

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP

The order does not name any company, but is believed to target Huawei.

The Chinese tech giant said restricting its business in the US would only hurt American consumers and companies. Media captionOne potential problem with 5G tech may have more to do with castles than you’d expect

Several countries, led by the US, have raised concerns in recent months that Huawei products could be used by China for surveillance, allegations the company has vehemently denied.

The US has been pressuring allies to shun Huawei in their next generation 5G mobile networks.

In a separate development, the US commerce department added Huawei to its “entity list”, a move that bans the company from acquiring technology from US firms without government approval.

The moves are likely to worsen tensions between the US and China, which had already escalated this week with tariff hikes in a trade war.

Huawei has been at the epicentre of the US-China power struggle that has dominated global politics over the past year.

What does the order say?

According to a White House statement, Mr Trump’s order aims to “protect America from foreign adversaries who are actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services”.

It gives the secretary of commerce the power to “prohibit transactions posing an unacceptable risk to the national security”, the statement adds.

The move was instantly welcomed by Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai, who called it “a significant step toward securing America’s networks”.

The US had already restricted federal agencies from using Huawei products and has encouraged allies to shun them, while Australia and New Zealand have both blocked the use of Huawei gear in 5G networks.

In April 2018 another Chinese tech company, ZTE, was barred from buying US parts after it was placed on the same “entity list”. It resumed business after reaching a deal with the US in July.

How has Huawei responded?

Huawei has said its work does not pose any threats and that it is independent from the Chinese government.

“Restricting Huawei from doing business in the US will not make the US more secure or stronger,” the company said in a statement.

“Instead, this will only serve to limit the US to inferior yet more expensive alternatives, leaving the US lagging behind in 5G deployment, and eventually harming the interests of US companies and consumers.”

Huawei grown rapidly over a decade

Presentational white space

The company also said “unreasonable restrictions” on Huawei raised “other serious legal issues”.

During a meeting in London on Tuesday, Huawei chairman Liang Hua said it was “willing to sign no-spy agreements with governments” as concerns over the security of its products used in mobile networks continued to grow.

What does the national emergency mean?

By declaring a national emergency President Trump can effectively bypass other branches of government and gains access to a raft of special powers.

The Brennan Center for Justice, a non-partisan public policy institute, has compiled a list of more than 120 legal powers the president can use in such an event – they range from taking over farmland to calling up military reservists or seizing property with few or no restrictions.

President Trump has now declared five national emergencies, including most recently over the southern US border.

A rolling list of national emergencies compiled by the centre shows there are now 33 active national emergencies in the US.

The oldest emergency still in place was signed by President Jimmy Carter in November 1979 as a response to the Iran hostage crisis. Others signed by Presidents Bill Clinton, George W Bush and Barack Obama also remain in effect.


@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

Continue Reading
Advertisement

24 Hours Across Africa

Barcelona appoints ‘Valdes’ to coach their youth team

Published

on

The Spanish giant ‘Barcelona’ has appointed their legendary star victor Valdes to coach U19A team.

The Spaniard picked up UEFA A and B coaching licences after retiring from football last year and has now reunited with the Blaugrana

The 37-year-old racked up 539 appearances for Barca across all competitions over the course of 12 seasons between 2002 and 2014, winning 21 major titles in total.

Valdes picked up three Champions Leagues, six La Liga titles and won the Copa del Rey twice, earning legendary status at the club while also establishing himself as one of the finest shot-stoppers in Europe.

Barcelona released the following statement on their official website: “Victor Valdes is back at FC Barcelona after signing a contract on Friday morning to become the new head coach of the U19A team. The agreement binds him to the club until June 2020, with the option for an extension by one additional season.

The Spanish born has been enjoying with ED Moratalaz role in the fifth tier of Spanish football before Barcelona reach an agreement with him.

KINDLY FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA & SHARE THIS STORY
INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

@ Anttention FreshWe work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
Submit Your Story: Click Here to Submit    Contact: allmails@antvt.com
Breaking News: SMS: +2347066663071, Whatsapp: +2347066663071, Email: allmails@antvt.com
TO UPLOAD & PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCTS CLICK IMAGE
JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGE

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

BMW and Tencent to team-up in developing self-driving cars

Published

on

(Reuters) – German automaker BMW (BMWG.DE) and Chinese online gaming giant Tencent Holdings (0700.HK) are teaming up to launch a computing center in China that will help develop self-driving cars in the world’s biggest auto market, the companies said on Friday.

The computing center, which will start operations by the end of the year, will provide cars with data-crunching capabilities to help them drive semi-autonomously and, eventually, autonomously.

The two companies did not disclose the investment in the center. Sources familiar with the deal said the center will be built in the eastern city of Tianjin.

The establishment of the center “will support BMW’s autonomous driving development and innovation in China,” Jochen Goller, head of BMW’s China operations, said in a statement.

“BMW can, therefore, develop autonomous driving solutions that fit better with the specific driving conditions in China.”

BMW said the new computing center will leverage Tencent’s cloud computing and big data, and provide the automaker with infrastructure needed to develop the autonomous cars.

The Munich-headquartered automaker says it will likely introduce semi-autonomous, or L3 classification, cars in China in 2021 which would need massive computing power to analyze real-time flow of digital information on road and traffic conditions.

Driverless cars need sophisticated data-crunching capabilities as they rely on so-called artificial-intelligence, or neuro-network technology, to help them “learn” from experience and could eventually drive themselves without human intervention.

BMW’s planned Chinese computing center follows the opening earlier this year of a similar computing center in Munich.

KINDLY FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA & SHARE THIS STORY
INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

@ Anttention Fresh,We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
Submit Your Story: Click Here to Submit    Contact: allmails@antvt.com
Breaking News: SMS: +2347066663071, Whatsapp: +2347066663071, Email: allmails@antvt.com
TO UPLOAD & PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCTS CLICK IMAGE
JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved