page contents
Connect with us

24 Hours Across Africa

U.S. to sanction Turkey for Russia missile deal.

Published

on

Source: Reuters

The looming threat of U.S. sanctions and a wider rupture with Western allies over Turkey’s purchase of Russian air defenses is raising concern in Ankara, two Turkish officials said, despite public insistence the deal will go ahead as planned.

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP
With barely a month left until Turkey could take delivery of Moscow’s S-400 missile defense system, triggering automatic U.S. sanctions, the Turkish government continues to say it will not be deflected from its agreement with Russia.

But worries about the impact of punitive U.S. measures against Turkey’s military, which could degrade its existing fleet of warplanes and block purchases of new U.S. F-35 stealth fighter jets and the Patriot missile defense system, have reached as far as President Tayyip Erdogan, the official said.

“Some senior officials are opposing this delivery taking place, at least in June. A senior official conveyed this to Erdogan as well,” one of the officials told Reuters.

“The officials opposing the immediate delivery of the S-400s are concerned about ties with NATO being disrupted, U.S. sanctions and (the prospect) that the Patriots will become totally unavailable.”

A second official familiar with the S-400 deal confirmed there were concerns over the possible U.S. response, although he reiterated Turkey’s position that it would not back out.

Turkey and the United States, both members of the NATO alliance set up to counter Moscow’s military power, have argued for months over the impact of S-400s deployed on Turkish soil.

Washington says the Russian system is incompatible with the Western alliance’s defense network and poses a threat to the F-35s that Turkey also plans to buy.

A top defense official from a European Union NATO member state said buying S-400s could carry a wider cost for Turkey.

“NATO cannot force Turkey not to buy, but if Ankara does go ahead it could have effects on the alliance’s intelligence sharing and further defense purchases,” the official said.

Turkey says that defending its territory poses no threat to allies, and that it has met all NATO obligations. A defense industry official said he expected the missile defenses to be stationed on Turkey’s border with Syria, although no final decision had been made.

Delivery of the S-400s is scheduled for July, and Turkey has even suggested that the first consignment could be brought forward to June.

But Defense Minister Hulusi Akar this week offered the first hint of possible delay, saying “they may not make it by June” and adding that Russia and Turkey were still working on some details of the deal.

STRAINS WITH RUSSIA

Strains between Russia and Turkey over the war in Syria, where the two countries back rival sides, could cast a shadow over relations as they seek to finalize the S-400 delivery.

A deal between Russia, Turkey and Iran to curb fighting around the northwestern province of Idlib has collapsed, as Russian-backed Syrian forces attack jihadist fighters and Turkey-backed rebels in an offensive that has driven thousands of civilians to seek shelter on the Turkish border.

However, Turkey’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said on Friday the S-400 delivery schedule was unchanged.

“Reports in some media outlets about Turkey evaluating delaying the S-400 procurement upon the request of the United States do not reflect the truth,” Aksoy said. “The process of procuring S-400s from Russia is continuing as planned.”

Three Turkish officials who spoke to Reuters all said it was possible the S-400s could still be delivered in June, but also left open the possibility of delay.

“Renewed tensions with the United States aren’t desired at this point,” the first official said, pointing to the potential economic damage from sanctions. “The plan now is for the S-400s to be delivered in June, but there is an ongoing discussion.

“Depending on the talks, it may be pushed back.”

Erdogan’s government will not want to set off a crisis with the United States immediately before a June 23 Istanbul mayoral election – which is being re-run after his party suffered a narrow and dramatic loss two months ago – or a meeting he is due to hold with President Donald Trump in Japan just days later.

“Turkey does not want to hurt its ties with the United States or Russia,” the defense industry official said. “With the Erdogan-Trump meeting, it’s possible that the two sides will understand each other better.”


@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

Continue Reading
Advertisement

24 Hours Across Africa

India doctors embark on strike aimed better security

Published

on

download (2)

Source: Reuters

Thousands of doctors across India went on strike on Friday to demand better security at hospitals days after junior doctors in the city of Kolkata were attacked, leaving services in many government-run health facilities paralyzed.

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP

The state of West Bengal, of which Kolkata is capital, has been the worst hit by the strike with at least 13 big government hospitals affected.

The protests were sparked by an attack at the NRS Medical College in Kolkata on June 10 that left three junior doctors seriously injured after a dispute with a family whose relative had died.

Doctors demanding better security began a strike but their action was confined to the state until West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee condemned them on Thursday, saying police did not strike when one of their colleagues was killed.

Banerjee’s remarks, which included a warning that junior doctors would be evicted from their college hostels if they did not go back to work, triggered a nationwide reaction.

The Indian Medical Association said the “barbaric” attack at the NRS reflected a national problem, and called for a countrywide protest. It also demanded legislation to safeguard doctors.

Nearly 30,000 doctors were on a one-day strike on Friday, most in West Bengal, New Delhi and the western state of Maharashtra, according to figures proved by medical associations.

The federal health minister, Harsh Vardhan, tried to calm the furor, promising better security at hospitals and calling on Banerjee to withdraw her ultimatum.

“I urge doctors to end their strike in the larger interest of society. I will take all possible measures to ensure a safe environment for them at hospitals across the country,” Vardhan said on Twitter.

India spent an estimated 1.4% of its gross domestic product on healthcare in 2017/18, among the lowest proportions in the world. Many millions of Indians depend on the cheap but inadequate public health system.

Saradamani Ray, whose 77-year old father is a patient at the NRS Medical College, said she would have to move him because of the strike.

“I will have to take my father somewhere else for his dialysis, maybe a private hospital,” she told Reuters.

“It will cause a lot of financial strain, but there’s nothing I can do. I will have to pay.”


@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

Continue Reading

24 Hours Across Africa

Cazorla pen New deal for Villarreal

Published

on

960

Villarreal veteran Santi Cazorla re-signed with the La Liga club, it was confirmed on Thursday.

DOWNLOAD ANTTENTION FRESH NEWS ON THE GO APP

Spain international midfielder Cazorla, 34, renewed for the 2019-20 season after impressing last term following his return to the Yellow Submarine.

The club announced the news on Thursday at a season ticket campaign presentation in the newly opened Plaza Pascual Font de Mora.

Cazorla was not at the event, but appeared in a video revealing that he had signed on for another season

“My only goal was to stay here and I appreciate the support of the club and coaching staff,” Cazorla said.

After re-joining Villarreal – where he left for Malaga in 2011 – from Arsenal, Cazorla scored seven goals and tallied 11 assists in 46 matches across all.


@ Anttention Fresh,                
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source. 

JOIN AN ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITY CLICK IMAGEonline training

 

 

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Flag Counter
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved