Mrs Anita Ekpeyong narrowly escaped death after she was beaten comatose and thrown inside a well by a man that she said refused to pay her the N3,000 bargained for sex.
Vanguard gathered that the woman, who lives in an uncompleted building at Aladura Mosque Street, White Sand, Isheri Oshun, Lagos, with her husband, Ifeanyi, and their two children, left their abode two weeks ago, after informing her family that she was going to charge her mobile phone.
According to her, on the way to charge her phone, a man she identified as Isaac requested to take her home for sex, with an agreement to pay her N3,000.
Trouble, however, started for the mother of two following Isaac’s refusal to pay her the agreed sum after having sex with her in his one-room apartment at 4, Kilanko Street, White Sand, Isheri Oshun. An argument, which degenerated into scuffle, ensued during which Isaac threw Anita inside a well, abandoning her to die.
A passer-by said to have been alerted by shouts for help from the well, raised the alarm and Anita was rescued. Ekpeyong was, thereafter, rushed to two private hospitals in the area, unconscious, but was rejected.
She was then taken to the Isolo General Hospital by the Police, where she was treated for a week before being transferred to another hospital, where she underwent another round of treatment before she was discharged, weekend. During interrogation, she said: “I did not know the man before.
He only stopped me and asked how much I would take for the service and I said N3,000. But when he finished he refused to pay.
“Rather, he threatened to kill me and dump my body in the bush. He started dragging me out of his house and at the same time hit me on my head.
“He collected my Nokia Android phone and the money I had earlier worked for. He covered my mouth with cloth to prevent me from shouting and gave me a hard fist on my jaw, which forced a tooth to fall off.
“He dragged me out of his compound to about five buildings away from his. At a point, I was so weak and passed out. The next time I opened my eyes, I found myself inside a well.
“The luck I had was that the water level was just up to my chest. That was when I yelled for help.” At press time, the suspect, Isaac, was still on the run. Vanguard observed during a visit to his apartment that the only property he had was a bed.
His rent expired in March—Suspect’s landlord His landlord, identified simply as Okwuchukwu, stated that the victim’s rent had long expired and that he had issued him notice to quit. He said:
“He moved into this house in January 2016. His rent expired at the end of March 2017. Since then he has not paid a kobo. The notice to quit issued him expired in October. I have taken him to several places to ensure he leaves my house.
“While we are still on that issue, I came back home from work on December 12 only to be informed that he brought a married woman home, slept with her and instead of paying her, beat her and threw her inside a well.”
Vanguard gathered that Lagos State Police Command has intensified effort in search of the fleeing suspect.
Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick under fresh corruption probe
Several properties belonging to top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its president Amaju Pinnick, have been seized in a fresh corruption probe.
The latest investigation and seizures are being carried out by the country’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission’s (ICPC).
The ICPC has published a newspaper advertisement about the properties seized – half of which belong to Pinnick.
According to the statement published in the Nigerian papers one of Pinnick’s properties is in London.
It comes amidst wide-ranging claims over how money meant for football development allegedly disappeared.
“We can’t go into further details beyond the fact that many officials of the NFF are under investigation,” ICPC spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa said.
“It’s basically because what they have is in excess of what they have earned.”
The ICPC has also taken control of properties belonging to the NFF second vice-president Shehu Dikko and the general secretary Muhamed Sanusi among others.
Rwanda ban Burundi,s music star ahead of annual festival
Burundian musician Jean Pierre Nimbona, popularly known as Kidum, has told the BBC he is confused by Rwanda’s decision to ban him from playing at the upcoming Kigali Jazz Fusion festival.
Kidum is one of Burundi’s biggest music stars and has performed in Rwanda for the past 16 years.
But a police official phoned the musician’s manager to warn that he would only be allowed to make private visits to Rwanda.
“[My manager was told] Kidum is not supposed to perform, tell him to leave. If he comes for private visits fine, but no performances,” the musician told BBC’s Focus on Africa radio programme.
The mayor of Rwanda’s capital said that in this instance permission had not been sought from the authorities for him to perform at the festival in Kigali.
Kidum was a leading peace activist during Burundi’s civil war between 1993 and 2003 and used his songs to call for reconciliation.
The 44-year-old musician said he had never had problems with Rwandan authorities until recently when three of his shows were cancelled at the last minute – including one in December 2018.
That month Burundi had banned Meddy, a musician who is half-Burundian, half-Rwandan, from performing in the main city of Bujumbura.
Kidum said he was unsure if the diplomatic tensions between Burundi and Rwanda had influenced his ban.
“I don’t know, I don’t have any evidence about that. And if there was politics, I’m not a player in politics, I’m just a freelance musician based in Nairobi,” he said.
He said he would not challenge the ban: “There’s nothing I can do, I just wait until maybe the decision is changed some day.
“It’s similar to a family house and you are denied entry… so you just have to wait maybe until the head of the family decides otherwise.”
24 Hours Across Africa1 week ago
Nigeria: FG approves $5.3bn Ibadan-Kano rail project
24 Hours Across Africa1 week ago
Apple unveils new iPhone 11 with a triple-camera
24 Hours Across Africa5 days ago
Post Xenophobia, South Africans ask Nigerians for forgiveness
24 Hours Across Africa6 days ago
18 Carat gold toilet stolen at Blenheim palace