President Roch Marc Christian Kabore has announced that eight soldiers were killed on Wednesday by a blast in the troubled north of Burkina Faso.
“I have just learned that eight Burkinabe soldiers died after their vehicle drove over a home-made mine planted by the enemies of our people,” he said.
The convoy had been heading from Baraboule in Soum province, where jihadists have carried out a string of attacks since 2015, to the town of Djibo.
FOLLOW US ON:
“The lead vehicle in the convoy hit the mine” as it was coming off a bridge, a security source told journalists.
Kabore expressed his “deepest condolences to the defence and security forces, to the families and relatives of the victims.”
“These horrible and cowardly attacks will never sap our common resolve to defend our national territorial integrity, to restore peace and security for the happiness and prosperity of the Burkinabe people.”
TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE