@ Anttention Fresh,
We work hard to ensure that any news brought to you is legitimate and valuable so we leave out the noise. This material, and other digital content on this website, may be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part BUT give us credit as your source.
Two parents have been accused of putting their tiny baby in a microwave oven causing him horrific burns.
Derick Boyce-Slezak and wife Mikala, both 22, were charged with felony abuse or neglect of a child by police in Missouri, USA, on Tuesday.
The couple were arrested after taking the little boy, who is younger than four months old, to hospital with a rash on his face.
Doctors discovered the ‘rash’ was actually a second-degree burn and further tests revealed the child had a skull fracture and a brain injury.
Court documents, seen by The St Louis post dispatch, accuse the Boyce-Slezaks of dropping their baby while trying to imitate a TV commercial and zapping him in a microwave.
The parents told doctors the burns were caused by cleaning chemicals.
During a court hearing on Monday, Mikala invoked her right against self-incrimination when asked about the baby’s injuries, the documents say. Derick did not testify.
A representative from the Missouri Department of Social Services said Mikala Boyce-Slezak had earlier stated she intended to testify the head wounds were a result of Derick dropping the infant while trying to imitate what he saw on an advert.
Mikala also claimed that she believed Derick had placed the infant in a microwave and turned it on for a “short period of time”.
Because of the horrific nature of the allegations, both are being held in custody at St Francois County Jail on $500,000 (£370,000) bail each.
Other court records indicate that the couple are of the parents of a girl, who they waived custody of shortly after she was born in January 2016.
Nigerian Customs: Cars importation ban Remains.
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has maintained that the ban on importation of used and new vehicles into the country through land borders remains.
The comptroller-general of customs, Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd), said this on Monday, June 24, when he spoke at the official launch of a bilateral trade platform at Seme border.
a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda According to Ali, the Nigeria Customs Service will not open land border for importation of used vehicles.
He, however, said the government was interested in the success of the connectivity platform that would facilitate border trade between Nigeria and Benin.
Ali urged that stakeholders should embrace the platform to enable the two countries to achieve seamless operations and trade facilitation as this would assist genuine traders.
“We are envisaging compliance, and we hope we get compliance; where individual decides not to comply, then the customs will ensure there is no illicit trafficking between the two countries,”
The NCS boss noted that through the platform, false declaration of goods and some other illegal activities, experienced due to manual operation, would stop.