The use of smartphones has become quite ubiquitous with everyday life. We cannot even remember what the times pre-mobile looked like. Our everyday reality is tightly intertwined with mobile phones. Smartphones are very handy and important. They have also provided immense opportunities for business, connectivity to loved ones and access to information with just a few clicks. However, with this great potential comes a downside. Improper usage of smartphones permeates the very space and world we live in today.
Lets understand some of these etiquettes that may not be respectful and healthy uses of the smartphone.
General mobile phone manners.
There are specific etiquette points that one should keep in mind for certain social situations, such as introducing yourself, not interrupting, and saying please and thank you. However, there are also more generalized rules that should be followed in regard to cell phone use. Here are some universal cell phone etiquette tips to keep in mind:
- Although it may be tempting, avoid texting during face-to-face conversations;
- Avoid taking pictures or making videos of everything, everywhere without proper authorization because there are moments they pass across as disrespectful;
- Avoid accepting calls when you are in the middle of a face-to-face conversation;
- Avoid watching movies, flicks etc. on your phone without headphones on in a bus or somewhere with other people as no one else is interested in watching it with you;
- Avoid discussing personal topics in an area where others may hear you as it makes you appear uncouth and uncultured;
- Avoid using inappropriate pictures for a person’s contact photo;
- Be aware of the delay between when you speak and when the other person hears it;
- Be mindful about what you tag people in on social media;
- Don’t light up your screen in a dark theater or environment where people rely on the dark ambience;
- Don’t talk/text and drive;
- Use your Call Filter app for suspicious calls, but avoid using it for friends and family;
- End the continuing game of phone tag after 4 attempts of reaching out to an individual;
- Keep a distance of at least 10 feet from the nearest person when talking on your phone;
- Put your phone on silent mode in theaters, restaurants, plays, performances, and any other group setting where a ring tone may be bothersome;
- Refrain from blaming the other person if there is a dropped call;
- Speak in a soft tone when taking calls in public;
- Try not to look things up (“fact check”) during a conversation, unless you are asked to.
Manners for cell phones on dates.
Dating, in general, can be stressful. Individuals may feel the need to impress their date and present themselves well, especially during the early stages of the relationship. Some may partake in phubbing, which is when an individual begins to pay less attention to someone who is talking and more attention to their phone instead — this may be because of nerves, boredom, or out of habit. While it may not be necessary to completely disregard using your phone at any time while on a date, it is important that you be mindful of how you do so. Here are a few tips for proper date night phone etiquette:
- Ask your date if they would be bothered by you taking pictures of the food, scenery, etc.;
- Don’t continuously show them things you’ve found on your phone. One or two items may be alright, however, refrain from showing them your entire social media feed, even if you find the content funny;
- If able to, you should both put your phones away in your bag or pocket;
- Let your date know ahead of time if you’re expecting an important phone call at any point during your time together;
- Refrain from nervously going onto your phone;
- Set your phone on silent.
Manners for cell phones at work.
Prior to following any workplace cell phone etiquette advice, one should first review their specific workplace’s phone policy — this policy should take precedence over any outside advice that is given. Generally speaking, some businesses are becoming more accepting of phones in offices, being more aware that it is possible to maintain workplace productivity in an era of smartphones — as “convenience is a crucial aspect that all organizations and firms look to obtain for their employees. Smartphones provide the ability for employees and clients to communicate and contact one another quickly and efficiently.”
If you are a part of a business that allows you to use your phones, it is important to follow proper cell phone workplace etiquette to help reduce the chances of you getting these privileges taken away.
- Be aware of your ringtone. If you work at a business that requires you to answer your cell phone often you may want to download a ringtone that sounds professional (no high pitches, isn’t too loud, no obnoxious sounds, no profanity, etc);
- Don’t look at your phone during meetings;
- Don’t place your phone on your lap;
- Focus on the person that should have your attention i.e. customer, client, coworker, boss, etc;
- Keep your personal calls private;
- Keep your phone out of sight;
- Don’t engage in arguments over the phone while at work;
- Silence your device.
Manners for cell phones at professional gatherings.
Just as with informal gatherings such as dates and some workplaces, there are cell phone etiquette tips to keep in mind for professional gatherings such as conferences, training sessions, seminars, product launches, and more:
- Don’t take photos unless you’re allowed to;
- Don’t use your phone as a way to avoid social interactions;
- Focus on face-to-face networking;
- Keep your phone on silent;
- Verbally excuse yourself for important calls when necessary;
- When you do take photos, turn off your flash as a courtesy to others around you.
When to not use your cell phone.
In some scenarios, it is unacceptable to use your mobile phone entirely, despite taking the above etiquette tips into consideration. The following list outlines different situations when you’ll want to avoid your phone altogether:
- At movie theaters and other large gatherings of any kind;
- Attending church;
- While giving birth (Yes, you heard right. Fast becoming a thing);
- During a job interview;
- When someone is talking to you;
- While driving;
- While you’re eating a meal;
- While you’re studying.
How often you use your cell phone is entirely up to you. However, when doing so, keep in mind that there is a time and place for it. By following the above cell phone etiquette guidelines, you can ensure you’re not being disrespectful or breaking any rules and are mindful of those around you.
List of Names for Groups of Animals
Whether it is a group of mammals, birds or even insects, there is a unique collective noun to identify the specific group, although some of these names are rarely used. Most people are likely to use the general term flock for a group of eagles, rather than the proper term convocation. Still, it’s good to know the correct collective noun, even if it’s just to wow your friends.
Collective Names for Animals
We’ve gathered together a list of 60 groups of animals and their collective nouns – some animal groups can have more than one collective noun – that you may or may not have heard of. Whenever animals gather in groups, they are formally called:
- Apes: a shrewdness
- Badgers: a cete
- Bats: a colony, cloud or camp
- Bears: a sloth or sleuth
- Bees: a swarm
- Buffalo: a gang or obstinacy
- Camels: a caravan
- Cats: a clowder or glaring; Kittens: a litter or kindle; Wild cats: a destruction
- Cobras: a quiver
- Crocodiles: a bask
- Crows: a murder
- Dogs: a pack; Puppies: a litter
- Donkeys: a drove
- Eagles: a convocation
- Elephants: a parade
- Elk: a gang or a herd
- Falcons: a cast
- Ferrets: a business
- Fish: a school
- Flamingos: a stand
- Foxes: a skulk or leash
- Frogs: an army
- Geese: a gaggle
- Giraffes: a tower
- Gorillas: a band
- Hippopotami: a bloat
- Hyenas: a cackle
- Jaguars: a shadow
- Jellyfish: a smack
- Kangaroos: a troop or mob
- Lemurs: a conspiracy
- Leopards: a leap
- Lions: a pride
- Moles: a labor
- Monkeys: a barrel or troop
- Mules: a pack
- Otters: a family
- Oxen: a team or yoke
- Owls: a parliament
- Parrots: a pandemonium
- Pigs: a drift or drove (younger pigs), or a sounder or team (older pigs)
- Porcupines: a prickle
- Rabbits: a herd
- Rats: a colony
- Ravens: an unkindness
- Rhinoceroses: a crash
- Shark: a shiver
- Skunk: a stench
- Snakes: a nest
- Squirrels: a dray or scurry
- Stingrays: a fever
- Swans: a bevy or game (if in flight: a wedge)
- Tigers: an ambush or streak
- Toads: a knot
- Turkeys: a gang or rafter
- Turtles: a bale or nest
- Weasels: a colony, gang or pack
- Whales: a pod, school, or gam
- Wolves: a pack
- Zebras: a zeal
To expand your vocabulary even more, YourDictionary can help you learn some animal names in Spanish.
Animal Names Can Highlight Traits
Not only is it fun to say certain names for groups of animals, but it is interesting as well. The collective names given to groups of animals can be as unique as the animals themselves and highlight certain traits of that group. Remember that, and when you think of a group of skunks the word stench should immediately come to mind.
Our list is by no means exhaustive, so please share more collective nouns for groups of animals in the comments below.
Jason Momoa And Wife Lisa Bonet Announce Separation After 4 Years Of Marriage
Hollywood star Jason Momoa and wife Lisa Bonet have parted ways after 4 years of marriage and 16 years of relationship. The couple shared the sad news via the actor’s Instagram account. In their joint statement, the couple said there is a revolution that is unfolding and their family is no exception.
They noted that they will go about their lives with dignity and honesty. They shared that they are freeing each other so they can both be what they need to become and they will give unwavering love and support to their children teaching them love and prayer.
California twins born in different years. LOL
Aylin Trujillo, a healthy baby girl from Greenfield, weighing 5 pounds and 14 ounces, was the first baby born in the new year in Monterey County.
Aylin arrived 15 minutes after her brother Alfredo, who was born on Dec. 31 at 11:45 p.m., weighing 6 pounds and 1 ounce.
Their birth is special because they were born on different days, months and years.
Twins with different birthdays are rare, and some estimate the chance of twins being born in different years as one in 2 million.
The twins were born at Natividad Hospital in Salinas.
Grammy Awards indefinitely postponed as Omicron spreads
This year’s Grammy Awards ceremony honoring top performances in music has been postponed indefinitely because of the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, organizers said on Wednesday.
The show had been scheduled to take place at an arena in downtown Los Angeles and broadcast live on the CBS network on Jan. 31.
“Given the uncertainty surrounding the Omicron variant, holding the show on January 31 simply contains too many risks,” CBS and the Recording Academy said in a joint statement, adding that a new date would be announced soon.
Nominations for the awards were announced in November. Pianist and bandleader Jon Batiste led a field that spanned rap to jazz music and embraced newcomers from teen pop sensation Olivia Rodrigo to veteran crooner Tony Bennett, 95, who won his first Grammy in 1963.
The 2021 Grammy awards also were postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The ceremony was staged in March instead of January and included a mix of pre-recorded and live segments in front of a small, socially distanced crowd.
Organizers had hoped to return this year to something closer to the traditional celebration with a large audience inside the former Staples Center, now called Crypto.com Arena. Late-night television host Trevor Noah had been tapped to host the event.
CBS and the Recording Academy said they consulted local officials, health experts and artists before deciding to scrap the January date.
“The health and safety of those in our music community, the live audience and the hundreds of people who work tirelessly to produce our show remains our top priority,” they said.
Other entertainment industry events have been delayed or scaled back.
Organizers of this month’s Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, said on Tuesday they had canceled in-person events and would move them online.
The Critics Choice Awards, which had been set for this Sunday, have been postponed with no new date scheduled.
Most Viewed Posts
- African Hairstyles for Ladies you Should Try in 2022 (3,520)
- Nigeria Loses 6.5 Million Barrels of Oil to Force Majeure, Sabotage in December. Again (2,680)
- Nigeria: Govt Plans to Lift 35m Nigerians Out of Poverty in Five Years (2,456)
- Other Types of Intimacy that can Improve Your Relationship Asides the Sexual Type (2,163)
- 9 Strong Confirmations You’re Having an Emotional Affair — And What to Do About It (1,956)
AFRICA3 weeks ago
50 Best Lacy & Classy Asoebi Styles 2022
BUSINESS3 weeks ago
Workplace Extramarital Office Affairs: How To End It maybe retain your job
HOW TO1 week ago
How to Survive an Unhappy Marriage (for the spouse who wants to keep trying)
BUSINESS4 weeks ago
20 Things You Can Export From Nigeria and Make Dollars