Two Dead and Eight Hospitalized After Drinking Zakami Tea at Kano Wedding Ceremony

Two Dead and Eight Hospitalized After Drinking Zakami Tea at Kano Wedding Ceremony

A tragic incident occurred recently in the Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State, where two individuals lost their lives after drinking tea made with a local leaf called Zakami. The tea was reportedly served at a wedding ceremony over the weekend, and the unfortunate incident has left the community in shock.

Contrary to earlier unconfirmed reports that put the number of fatalities at seven or more, the ward head of the area, Usman Musa Zakari, confirmed to journalists who visited the area that only two individuals lost their lives. The victims were identified as Mubarak Bala, also known as Diga, and Ibrahim Khalil.

Zakari disclosed that the tea was prepared with a local leaf called Zakami, along with a combination of other drugs. He explained that eight other individuals who drank from the tea were hospitalized, but they have all been discharged and are currently going about their day-to-day activities.

Although there are different versions of the story being circulated, Zakari stated that he delegated individuals to conduct a fact-finding mission, and they only confirmed two fatalities. He added that someone had informed him that four individuals had died, but when he asked to be taken to the houses of the deceased, he was informed that the figure was hearsay.

The spokesperson of the Kano State Police Command, SP Abdullahi Haruna, stated that no formal report had been made to the police division of the area regarding the incident. However, he promised to make inquiries and give an update on the situation.

This tragic incident highlights the importance of ensuring that food and beverages served at events are safe for consumption. It also emphasizes the need for individuals to be vigilant and cautious about what they consume, particularly when it comes to local remedies and traditional medicines, as some of these may have harmful side effects. It is essential to seek advice from qualified professionals before consuming any unfamiliar substances, to avoid incidents such as this.

Leave a reply